Extreme fear setting in

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 3:53 am - TX
 Heather,

I was a similar weight to yours and I had no comorbidities, just a family history that was like a train bearing down on me.  I did it, not only to lose the 100lbs I had to lose and to be able to eat with my husband, but to avoid those conditions that were at that point a sure thing.  I didn't want diabetes, hypertension or hyperlipidema.  

You don't need to defend your decision to other folks. Some people just like to see the status quo maintained.   If you feel the need to, ignore the weight loss part of it and focus on the fact this is going to fix any comorbid conditions you may have or may be pending.

One other "bright spot" is that I can almost guarantee you these ones who are encouraging you not to proceed will be the ones who hit you with negativity on your journey.  Keep track of who said what and you won't be surprised when they hit you with bad stuff later on.  People, regrettably are often predictable.  
Elizabeth N.
on 11/12/11 5:37 am - Burlington County, NJ

Awwww you haven't met my clown friends!! They're wonderful folks.

Okay, so you have some people expressing THEIR anxiety at you and it fed YOUR anxiety. Yeah, that happens. And see, you have a more immediate/acute death anxiety than do many of us. All that stuff came together and gave you a meltdown.

This is not a sign. It's normal. Dr. Stewart has FANTASTIC stats. You are in excellent hands and all will be well. If you get another attack like this, maybe it might be well to have some medication on hand. (And no, Jack Daniels doesn't count!)

Sheanie
on 11/12/11 12:37 am
What Elizabeth just said.  Bingo.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 12:56 am - TX
 I understand completely what you are saying.  Yes it is normal.  We all have what is commonly called the '2 week freak', as in we freak out about 2 weeks before surgery and if we're lucky it lasts about, oh, 2 weeks.  ;-)

You and your husband are both having surgery the same day.  It's a great deal to manage, especially with kids.  It's going to be tough but you will handle it.   

Take a deep breath and relax.  We're here for you.

Proverbs 3:3-8
momx4
on 11/12/11 1:01 am - TX
Hey there, u l now I posted this about a week ago.....now I too am on the dark side and feel silly about writing goodby letters to my four babies! Of course at 5 days put I'm having terrible buyers remorse so we trade one thing for another I guess. I just keep listening to the vets and how great life is gonna b soon and try to take hour by hour. I have been up about 4 hours today so far and haven't cried yet so I'm doing better! Hugs girl we have all been there! I'm in another state in a hotel room sitting next to a sleeping snoring bear( husband) that if at home I could get away from! Chin up!!!
Lisa A.
on 11/12/11 2:58 am - Windsor, NY
I think "buyers remorse" is normal. When you feel crappy you wonder why did I do this to myself? I happened to be one of the people who was so sick after surgery so I definately had "buyers remorse". Yes I was obese and had some co-morbilities but I still was very high functioning and healthy for the most part. Then after surgery I was so sick and had to be on more medicines and acquired reflux (which I never had before the surgery). Then after surgery doing bloodwork and being diligent with all the vitamins you have to take - no pun intended but it was a real hard pill to swallow. Yes - I read up before and saw all that the after care required but it's another once you live it and have to make sure you get all your protein in and all the vitamins (so many pills). I'm 19 months out and most of the time I feel fine. I just really listen to my body and go with the flow. It takes a while to get used to your "new normal".

Kingy
on 11/12/11 2:49 am - Hobart, Australia
I so completely understand.  I'm 12 days post surgery and right up until the time they put me under I was a bundle of nerves (and had 2 very real panic attacks in the weeks leading up to it).  I left my partner and son and flew (which holds it's own horrors for me) to the other side of the world to a city I loathe to have my surgery done.  I think even now I'm still coming down from the amount of adrenaline coursing through my body.  All I can say is my hopes and best wishes are with you and that you are in no way abnormal.  Sending good vibes your way in droves.

Kingy

Lisa A.
on 11/12/11 2:53 am - Windsor, NY
You just have to go into this know it is a very, very serious surgery. Some people have a great, easy recovery and some don't. You just don't know what category you will fall into. In the end just do what you feel is right for you. But, yes I think is is completely normal to be scared. You are fearing the surgery, worried for your family, the recovery afterwards, etc.

prettypixels
on 11/12/11 6:26 am
To help with this I made a list of all the things I want to do when my weight is under control. Things like going on every waterslide in a park with my daughter, things that I just physically can't do. Now don't get me wrong, I have not let my weight slow me down that much... I still went to waterparks with her this summer and went on some slides. But it was incredibly hard on my body when it shouldn't be! My list had tons of stuff on it, like horseback riding, better hugs, just tons of things. Make a list of all the reasons that are inspiring YOU to do this and carry it with you to read and reread when you are freaking out.

I hope that helps. I was scared too!
dtabor5
on 11/12/11 7:49 am
yes this is normal and everyone does it... most do the 2 week freak, some wait until the day before and some (like me) freaked out on the drive there and begged hubby and mom to take me home.. (thank god they didn't listen). you are going to be fine... just breath.....

Good Luck and look forward to hear from you when you get home!!

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 343 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 803 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views