High Liver Enzymes - Those several years out?

biggeekgirl
on 11/13/11 11:42 pm
I'm wondering if those years out (I am almost 7 years out....) are seeing their liver enzymes go up?  

On a routine blood work test done by my OB my liver enzymes were double the normal lab values...

I admit it's been almost 2 years since I've had a full vitamin panel by my surgeon...  shame on me.  I've neglected my health since my son was born.  But I want a 2nd child so I am quickly realizing I need to get into gear.    I have an appointment in December with my WLS.  

One question I am set on asking my surgeon is if my chances of liver / pancreas cancer increase with the DS (I know they did with earlier versions of the DS surgery... supposedly the "new" version solved those issues...)    As a note - it wouldn't change my having the surgery but I want to monitor my pancreas / liver closely if there are increased odds of problems.  

In the past my enzymes have been higher, but only by a few points.  (Prior to DS I had normal values).

Thanks!

Cindy 

For what it's worth my cholestrol panel came back "the most beautiful she's ever seen"  - ha ha.  If only she knew some days I can eat an entire pound of bacon!  :-)

Surgery on 4/25/05 , Dr. Alverdy in Chicago.  God Bless the DS !!!
Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/11 12:22 am, edited 11/14/11 12:22 am - San Jose, CA
I had my liver enzymes get slightly elevated last year. My PCP and I decided to just monitor them and she suggested an ultrasound if they went higher. They stayed slightly elevated for the better part of a year, and then went back down. We decided it may have been from some meds I took for a while.
biggeekgirl
on 11/14/11 12:28 am
 Thanks, Diana....  that makes me feel better.  

My also went up and down over the years - but never this high (double the values).

Of course I am in prime -make-a-baby mode and now wondering if I should hold off until I can get more tests...  I don't want to be pregnant and facing having CT scans, etc.

That being said - my OB sent me for an abdominal ultrasound which showed nothing abnormal on the liver but from what the tech said pancreas isn't easily seen with ultasounds.

Ugh... if it weren't for the baby making I'd just wait until December 21st and talk to my surgeon insead of fretting.  

Cindy

Highest Weight = 412lbs, Surgery Weight = 359lbs, Current Weight = 155lbs (5'7" tall)http://www.picturetrail.com/gid8138761
 Lilypie

Kathleen F.
on 11/14/11 1:27 am
Are you on any medications that could be stressing your liver? Have you been checked for hepatitis? Also, I believe there was one person here who had problems with his liver and I believe it was because of one of his vitamins. I think it was his A supplement. 
biggeekgirl
on 11/14/11 3:59 am
 I did just finish a round of anti-biotics for a sinus infection, but my WLS' Nurse doesn't think that would make them go that high...

Vitamin  A, huh?  I'll have to see if I can find  that thread.... I mentioned it to my WLS' nurse and she said "well you'd have to take a lot"  .  So I went up and tabulated what I take and it's close to 50,000 IU a day.... mostly Beta Carotene - I wonder if that's  "a lot" ?

Thanks for the tip!

Cindy

Lilypie

Blank Out
on 11/14/11 9:05 am
 Beta Carotene?????  That is the wrong kind of A to be taking!  It does nothing for us DSrs.  I had never heard of increased liver and pancreas cancer with the DS!  That sucks!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

biggeekgirl
on 11/17/11 1:57 am
I take a super dry form that is 25,000 IU but only half is synthetic the other half is BC.

My Vita4Life changed the A to 100% BC citing people were reporting incredibly high levels.

I am being tested next month so we'll see what my levels show.

While pregnant or trying too much causes birth defects so I am erring on the side of caution.

Lilypie

Panda ..
on 11/14/11 2:45 am
biggeekgirl
on 11/14/11 4:01 am
 Great point!  I do have it... I had an ultrasound in Sept showing stones, but nothing in the ducts.... still it could have been flaring up on that day...  

The WLS' Nurse thinks it's a "blip" (Transient) since my levels about 2 years ago were fine... I've had no blood work between then and now.  (bad me!)

I will mention the gallbladder when I surgeon next month.

Cindy

Lilypie

Kathleen F.
on 11/14/11 4:06 am, edited 1/25/12 8:40 am
[Edited to remove personal information]

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 314 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 778 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views