Are NSAIDs OK for a newer stomach?

pktwatch
on 11/16/11 1:02 pm, edited 11/16/11 1:08 pm
I had my surgery on September the 21st and have done well, no stomach problems at all. I am taking Prilosec and Carafate for my new stomach. I have arthritis and have got by on Tylenol so far but I need something better, Aleave helps me. Is this something that I should call the surgeon and ask or am I OK to start taking what I need for comfort?

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

nightowl
on 11/16/11 3:27 pm - Topeka, KS
Yeah, probably best to call and ask.  I think I was right around at your stage now when I was allowed to take ibuprofen.  If I recall correctly, I had heard mine say at an earlier appointment that I could at 6-8 weeks, and then when I saw her at around six weeks, I asked her if I remembered that right, and she said "well, I'd rather it be closer to 8 weeks than 6 weeks."
Heather E.
on 11/16/11 10:21 pm
I would ask first.  And, I would be very very careful about taking NSAIDS, period.  I know being able to take NSAIDs is considered a major selling point of the DS, but they can still cause some very serious damage to anyone's stomach, let alone a tiny DS stomach.  You should check out Dina McBride's profile/story if you can find it.

I have tennis elbow, and my PCP prescribed me 550 mg Naproxen (Aleve) that I was supposed to take twice a day to help with the inflamation.  I will only take it if the pain's really bad (which I know means that it's really inflamed), and I make sure to take a Zantac prior to taking one on top of the Prilosec I take each morning.  Even then, a lot of times it makes my stomach burn, which isn't good.  I hardly ever take any NSAIDs because of this.

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

mellysarah03
on 11/16/11 10:30 pm - Fort Myers, FL
 Im pretty sure tylenol is also an NSAID. I would say consult with your physician before taking anything new this early out. I used to live on Ibuprofen (pre-op) for back pain I had. Now I only take when I need it (which is typically a once a month for a few days... sorry its true) I no longer need it because my back isnt what it was before and I try to avoid taking nsaids because they are bad for anyone. (May cause ulcers, etc) But since my DS I typically dont take anything except my vits and I think I have needed anti-biotics (unrelated to DS) 2xs in 3 years. But again thats just me.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

pktwatch
on 11/17/11 1:10 am
Tylenol is not a NSAID.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

elixir
on 11/16/11 11:21 pm - MI
I think Dr. Kemmeter cleared me to resume taking NSAIDs again after my six week appt. I still take my Prilosec every day as directed by him. I don't take NSAIDs everyday, but once in a while I need some relief for my back (Motrin) or for headaches (Goody's headache powder.) Dr. K's PA told me to take the leftover Tramadol if I need to because it is gentler on my stomach, which I've been using to deal with the pain after an eye injection. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/17/11 5:18 am - Sedona, AZ
I started taking my IBUPROFIN about 6 weeks out but I try to take it with food now and never exceed the directions on the bottle. My neck problem is chronic and I used to take it 2-3 times a day but I am hesitant since the DS to get back to that habit. I try to only take it if I really need it. A few days in a row last week I needed the prescription strength 800 mg for the pain I was having. I dont have any gerd or heartburn issues and never had nausea. I am doing quite well with it. I am only 11 months out right now.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

teachmid
on 11/17/11 6:36 am - OKC, OK
My surgeon directed me to start Ibuprofen about 10 days postop to supplement my stronger pain med.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views