Kink/Bad Stomach Angle??

zpaultx
on 12/1/11 6:24 pm - IL
All:

Need feedback/advice on the following...

I'm just a little over 6 weeks post op...DS.  I've been able to keep very little food down for the past five weeks.  I was re-hospitalized twice for dehydration.  Did a barium swallow and the initial indication was that I most likely had a stricture.  Doc did a dilation endoscopy twice now and has resulted in very little relief.

The doc thinks that I have a kink or a "bad angle" in the staple line and has scheduled me for a second laproscopic diagnostic surgery for this coming Monday.  He seems to think that he will be able to "fix" the bad angle.  Basically, what's happening is that the food hits this angle and instead of proceeding down the chain, it's causing a back-up which ultimately results in vomiting and nausea.

They indicate that they will use the original holes as they "drilled" in the first surgery and that this procedure is much easier and less invasive that the original surgery.  They also indicated that I will be able to go home the same day.

I SO want to begin to enjoy the supposed life-changing events that come along with having had this surgery.  So far, the only life-changing events that I've had are that I can't eat, and am now on leave-without-pay status at work because I've been out for six weeks!  Does anyone have any experience with this complication and/or have any advice?

Thanks!

Paul
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011
Dr. Marshall/OSF St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL

MajorMom
on 12/1/11 6:38 pm - VA
Wishing you all the best, Paul. I know folks who've struggled to get over the initial complications and are now 100% with their DS or other WLS. Hang in there.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

KarenFlorida
on 12/1/11 7:23 pm - Orlando, FL
I think before you have another surgery, you should send your records to a DS revision surgeon for a second opinion. Good luck. I will be sending positive thoughts your way.

Karen
Lisa A.
on 12/1/11 7:57 pm - Windsor, NY
Paul - I wnt through something like this. I had vomiting and nausea for 6 months. I basically just concentrated on keeping hydrated. I sucked on ice cubes all day and froze snapples. I also choked down some protein shakes (not much). I did not eat barely any food for 6 months. I ate little jars of baby food, cottage cheese and baby pears, etc...

Are they ab****ely sure you need to go back into surgery and be reopened and then restapled? Has your doctor ever had to do this before?

I hear you about the life changing events. I felt just like you did. I would read about how wonderful DS was and how everyone loved it and I just wasn't buying it at the time. I'm 18 mos out now and life does get much better. It is a LONG journey but I've made peace with it.

Good luck to you and keep us informed of how you do.

Mom4Jazz
on 12/1/11 8:36 pm
This is essentially a complication with the sleeve portion of your DS and we have seen this complication over on the sleeve board. A patient with a very reputable, Center of Excellence surgeon had it a few months ago.

She did require a second surgery, the second surgery resolved the problem, and she has done very well since.

Good luck.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

teachmid
on 12/1/11 9:21 pm - OKC, OK
Best wishes and healing thoughts, Paul. Hopefully this will be resolved soon,
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Blank Out
on 12/1/11 9:40 pm
 This sounds like one of those unexpected complications.  I pray that you are able to get this fixed and get on your way to good DS living!  Keep us posted!  Best wishes to you!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/11 10:04 pm

No words of wisdom,  just wanted to wish you all the best so you can start your DS life. Hang tough!

HeatherLynn
on 12/1/11 11:57 pm - TX
 I wish I had advice for you, but I don't. Just wanted to send you some hugs and encouragement. 
zpaultx
on 12/2/11 2:08 am - IL
Thanks, everyone, for your input and kind thoughts! The procedure that they're doing is a diagnostic laparoscopy. Basically, the surgeon wants to inspect the stomach and small intestine to confirm the results of the barium swallow. He still is pretty certain that there's an accute angle/kink that's causing back-up/vomiting. Even after the second dilation this past Wednesday, I'm not able to keep much down. Prayers and fingers crossed, please
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 347 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 804 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views