Info on Disability Pay

zpaultx
on 12/10/11 5:26 am - IL
Hi all!

Wondering if any of you who have had the DS have had to use any short or long-term disability assistance and, if so, how did you go about it?

I had my original DS on 10/19 and then had a "corrective" surgery on December 5.  The problem is that my 12 weeks of FMLA are set to expire soon.  I will be able to apply for SOME assistance from my retirement program, but that only pays 1/2 of my salary.  Not sure about you, but I can't make it on only 1/2 of my salary!  Additionally, once the FMLA period is up, my employer will be free to terminate me and then I will have no insurance coverage.  For what was supposed to be three weeks away from work for recovery has turned into much, much more. 

Thus far, it DOES seem like the corrective surgery has worked, but I basically went through the second surgery as if it were the first.  I've still probably got several weeks of recuperation time ahead of me...

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Paul
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011
Dr. Marshall/OSF St. Francis Medical Center, Peoria, IL

Blank Out
on 12/10/11 5:56 am
 I don't know what you do, but any chance your employer will let you work from home?  I am sorry you are having to go through all this.  There are some sharp cookies on this board, and I know one of them will have some great advice.  I hope the rest of your recovery is speedy, and I wish you well.  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

zpaultx
on 12/10/11 6:44 am - IL

I'm the Associate Director of the Student Center at Illinois State.  I actually asked that same question a couple of weeks ago...about working from home, and my boss basically said that my job required me to be in the office in order to be effective.  However, in doing a little research today, I found that my request to her could actually be deemed a "reasonable modification request" under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  I'm keeping that in my back pocket for now in case it might be useful in the future :)

Paul

smileyjamie72
on 12/10/11 7:11 am - Palmer, AK

You might wan to check on the FMLA policy as well.  I know mine, and it is 12 weeks A CALENDAR YEAR.  So, the slate is wiped clean January 1, so my FMLA is 12 more weeks.  At least, that is how I understand mine.

-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

zpaultx
on 12/10/11 8:26 am - IL
 FMLA can run a calendar year or on a rolling year...my institution uses a rolling year measured back to the first time I used FMLA :(
newyorkbitch
on 12/10/11 11:52 am
 Paul you need to delete this. This is a public website. 
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/11 7:05 am, edited 12/10/11 7:07 am
It's called Reasonable Accomodations and I would contact your Employee Assistance Program (EAP) before you request this.

Reasonable Accomodations don't usually include working from home (there are exceptions and I know one person at my Federal site that does - has to do with horrid temperature control of the floor she works on and migraines). Before pulling out that card, make sure you contact the EAP. There may be other options.  These folks will work with you and your supervisor to come up with confidential solutions for this short term problem.

Hugs,
Ratkity

edit: Ill State Univ Employee Assistance Program Coordinator number - 438-8842
zpaultx
on 12/10/11 8:39 am - IL
 Thanks for correcting ;). I knew it didn't look right but figured all of u smart cookies would decipher ;). The only reason I originally asked for this was because I was fine to do work at home...just couldn't keep food down and had to be VERY near a restroom...
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011

fullhousemom
on 12/10/11 8:24 am
  I would talk to your HR department. Your Disability policies will tell you how long you have to be out of work before your disability insurance kicks in. Maybe you should be collecting disability NOW instead of Family leave?  I would also get a coy of your ST and LT policies and call the insurance company for guidance. 
When I had children years ago, my ST disability kicked in after two weeks AND I received ST disability for the following four weeks. That is just a comparison point. I dont understand why you aren't on disability now after your initial DS surgery. 

zpaultx
on 12/10/11 8:45 am, edited 12/9/11 8:48 pm - IL
Well, to be eligible for the disability program through my retirement program, u have to be off work for at least 60 days (which will be Dec 19 for me). You also have to have exhausted all of your benefits time...vacation and sick...which I have. FMLA can be 12 weeks of paid or unpaid time but that will be up for me in about another week. FMLA runs concurrently with any benefits time u have available for use. Basically, if you're out for 3 or more days, your employer can designate that as FMLA...

Oh, and BTW, the disability program through my retirement system only pays 50% of your normal salary for 6 months. Not sure about all of you, but 50% isn't gonna cut it for me! ;)
--
Z Paul Reynolds
Lap DS 10/19/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views