Starting new foods-sequence?

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/11 8:32 pm - Beverly, NJ
One of my favorite places to send newbies for food ideas is Dina's blog. Here's her eating section:
http://livingthedslife.wordpress.com/ds-resources/eating/
teachmid
on 12/15/11 8:39 pm - OKC, OK
For the first 2 weeks or so I ate small amounts of mashed potatoes, very thin oatmeal, tomato soup with cheddar cheese melted in it, soft boiled egg. After that I cut out the carb stuff.

I added a little salad back about 6 months, and still have problems with chicken and scrambled eggs. Very moist, fatty meat with gravy or sauce does well as does shrimp.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 8:13 am
Have you called your surgeon and ask about it? That would be my first move. At only a week or so out, you should have been given instructions to follow. All surgeons have their own timeline on when to introduce food--mine was no exception and was as tolerated. I was warned to to watch dense meats like pork. He was right. *lol* The first three months I went from liquids to mushy food like eggs, refried beans, cottage cheese, mashed taters,  to deli type meats and cheese and bites of chicken; and always my protein drinks because I just couldn't get enough protein by food at that point.
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/16/11 8:53 am
 I'm seeing him next week but I think he's a little more lax about the timeline for eating.  I'm not certain.  I only know one other DS patient of his and she ate what was "comfortable" and what felt right from the start.  She began on Cream of Wheat and progressed within the first to second week on Wendy's Chilli.  Chilli at 2 weeks out!  I'm being more cautious but I'm definitely not on liquids anymore--I've moved to soft mushy foods like mashed potatoes, eggs, yogurt.  I'll email him in a minute to see his take on it all.

Thanks for the adivice!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

zuzupetals2u2
on 12/18/11 10:44 am - Sedona, AZ
even tho oatmeal & cream of wheat is soft  it is carb and that will probably cause a lot of discomfort & gas in DS'ers. Most of our NUTS and surgeons seemed to give misinformation anyway on what to eat so listen to us here.

Yogurt. cottage cheese  tuna & eggs in mayo.  soups, soft boiled eggs, cheese  & even nuts were easy to digest for me the first few weeks. Most of us were lactose intolerant at first so be careful with milk or even some whey proteins. We are all different so add things gradually to see how you react to them. 

The most important thing is to get your liquids at that point tho so focus on that the most.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 383 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 836 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 272 views