OT But I need shopping advice please!!!

beemerbeeper
on 12/15/11 1:19 pm - AL
I need to get a gift for Hank's 80 y/o mother who lives in a nursing home.  HELP!!!  I don't know anything about her except she seems fairly plain and simple.  I can't do a candle (fire hazard) or anything like perfume  because I don't know that A) she would use it or B) what scents she can tolerate.

She reads the paper and does jigsaw puzzles but I think she has a stack of puzzles that will last longer than she does.

She has very little room (okay, no room) for nick nacks.  It can't be anything electrical because she has no outlets that arent being used.

I asked about getting her something to eat but Hank said she just doesn't have much appetitie.  Her room is FULL of photos so I think that probably isn't a good idea.  Not that I have an appropriate photo anyway.

It just needs to be a "courtesy" gift really.  I'm just clueless.

Where would I find a small throw for a twin bed?  Would that be too much?  I don't want to buy her clothes, as her daughters do that for her and know what she needs.

I really didn't want to spend much, I just wanted to have something for her to open. 

Maybe a Christmas pin that she could wear after she opens it???

IDEAS greatly appreciated.

~Becky

Its a Secret
on 12/15/11 1:28 pm
Is she one of those sweet little old ladies that love to share?  A big box of chocolates that she can share with staff would work.  If not, a bed throw, one of the those snuggies, a new pair of slippers.

Don't know if there is still time but you could order a newspaper from the day she was born.  People used to wear bed jackets which were just the top third of a robe.  Might work.

Dunno, I don't envy you,

me

beemerbeeper
on 12/15/11 1:52 pm - AL
No she doesn't seem to be a sharer.  I think she's too confused.  Maybe someone will have a cute idea.  I'm for the bed throw but that is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

~Becky

happydsr
on 12/15/11 1:57 pm
beemerbeeper
on 12/15/11 2:16 pm - AL
Gosh, you have great ideas.  I appreciate them!!

I spent an hour looking through photos with her when I met her.  She seemed to enjoy it some, but she also got upset when she couldn't name someone or place where the photo was taken. 

I was thinking of Reader's Digest.  But I really need something she can open at the party.  So I like the idea of a non-scented hand cream.  I'll have to look for that. 

I have already suggested that we take her out but he says she gets agitated and asks to go home as soon as she gets in the car so he isn't comfortable taking her anywhere.  He visits her every week and I'm not sure if going with him is helpful or just confusing to her.  She did recognize that I was new when I first met her and asked him where we met.   He's really very sweet to her and handles her repeated questions quite well. 

So I'll keep reading for ideas but I doubt anyone will be more thoughtful than you were.  I thank you for that.

~Becky

teachmid
on 12/15/11 8:08 pm - OKC, OK
Becky, you are so sweet.
There are some great ideas. I like the throw.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/11 8:31 pm - Beverly, NJ
What about a pretty scarf or knitted shawl?
sandyv63
on 12/15/11 9:30 pm - Naples, FL
What a generous person you are! You can find a fleece or microfiber throw at Big Lots for under $10. They usually have solids and prints.  Sometimes they have twin packs for around $15.
  All the vets have moved to a site where there is no censorship and no biased, unfair moderation. If you want ACCURATE information, join us here:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi
Renfairewench
on 12/15/11 10:12 pm
Becky, you are so sweet.

All I could think ot was if she is in a wheelchair a lap throw for her legs. Smaller than a throw for the bed. Does the home she is in have a hair salon? Perhaps you could get her a certificate to get her hair done there. You might need to tell the nurse or someone to remind her that she can go there to get it done.  A small throw for the bed might be nice, but is it something she would really use?  Can you take her out of the home for the day? Maybe you could take her to get her hair done, get a manicure and then go to lunch perhaps? 

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be great.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Judi J.
on 12/15/11 10:28 pm - MN
a dreamcatcher for her window? Does she have a guest book that people can sign when they visit her?

tagging along on the box of chocolates, My husband's grandma kept a tin of really nice cookies beside her guest book. As people visited she had them sign in and offered them a cookie. good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 723 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1027 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 344 views