6 months, so far so good!!!

Mark Morris
on 12/21/11 11:07 pm, edited 12/21/11 11:18 pm - PA
 This is my first post here - and I have to admit, I am not a huge "support system" kind of fellow.  I'm extremely busy with my work life, and I have more-or-less taken on this obstacle in life on my own terms.  I know that it seems almost counter-intuitive to post such a thing on a message board that by its own nature is intended to be used by a support group, but I thought that I might offer the short version of my story for the people who are considering a D/S.

My highest weight that I know of was 425 pounds.  I lost about 40 pounds before surgery, but I was delayed due to a pulmonary embolism, and during the extended delay, I actually gained back 15 pounds, and went into the operating room at an even 400 pounds on my surgery date, exactly 6 months ago, today.

As happens with everyone, the initial weightloss was crazy.  I think I have slowed down a bit in the past 3-4 weeks, but I'm still dropping weight.  As of today, I think my total weight loss is 157 pounds.  My home scales are not perfect, and it has been a few weeks since I have been in the Dr's office to be weighed.  That could be off by a few pounds... but I'm not going to obsess on the minutia.  The big picture - DRAMATIC success.

I have the scrip in hand for my '6 month check-up,' and I'm thrilled to go see my surgeon and find out how the labs are.  I'll get the labs drawn next week on Christmas vacation, and then get in to see the Dr. as soon as possible to see how the numbers look.

My only setback through this entire process has been dealing with gout.  I had a couple of flare-ups of gout prior to my surgery.  Since surgery, it has actually been a bit of an ongoing issue.  I am now taking Uloric, and my uric acid level is adjusting appropriately.  The problem is, the issues with gout make exercising as much as I want problematic.  

I have made phenomenal lifestyle changes, and am sticking with them.  My favorite form of protein intake is seafood.  It digests the best for me, I feel great when I eat fish, crab, lobster, etc.  I avoid shrimp due to gout, but that was one of the harder ones to digest, anyway.  I handle chicken fairly well, but it doesn't go down quite as comfortably as seafood.  Red meat is just a bit too fatty - even Bison, the leanest stuff I can find, doesn't go quite as well as I thought it would.  I have a bite every now and then, but I am well on my way to being a pescaterian.

My greatest fear pre-surgery is that I would feel like I was missing something in life.  Looking back on that now, it was the craziest, silliest thought EVER.  My love for wonderful flavor is still there.  My appreciation for wonderful food is also still intact.  But, the foods that I find wonderful are VERY different.  Steamed crab is just as amazing as it ever was.  I was never big into the butter thing before surgery, but since, I wouldn't even THINK of dipping food into butter - fat content just doesn't feel good... no desire to eat it.

I have resumed drinking coffee, but I drink decaf, and love it.  I only drink about 12 oz. a day - often I don't even finish that.  

On Thanksgiving, I delighted in the turkey, and I had some brussel sprouts, and one TINY bite of mashed potatos... and LOVED IT!!!  For desert I had one tiny taste (a single small bite, not a small piece) of pumpkin pie.  I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything at all.  I didn't feel slighted, ripped off, cheated ... you get the idea.  

The one 'cheat' that I have indulged in several times is to take a tiny sip of any wonderful craft beers my wife might be enjoying when we are out.  I literally just take enough to taste the flavor.  It's something we really enjoyed before surgery, and I am thrilled to be able to get enough of a taste that we can share in a conversation about the flavor of the beer.  That being said, the amount that I am taking in is miniscule.  Nowhere near 1 oz. ...probably about 1 tsp. at the very most.  

I LOVE to cook.  I can cook my wife anything that I used to cook for us before surgery, and if it's something I shouldn't eat, I don't!  It isn't hard work for me, nor is it an emotionally difficult thing.  I simply don't want it in my body, because it's not part of the program for me now.

I am so much more active now than I was before.  I can walk around town all day, and aside from the fact that my leg muscles get a little tired, I do GREAT.  Before, my respiratory system couldn't support what my legs would do.  Now, my legs will grow tired LONG before my breathing becomes a problem.

I am a classical musician - a trombone player.  I was very worried that substantial weight loss would have some sort of negative impact on my playing.  It has had a tremendously positive impact.  I have read about another morbidly obese brass player who felt that the extensive weight loss following his surgery was a negative thing for his playing.  I found the exact opposite.

The faculty where I teach have been gushing about the differences they see in me.  I have been very open with everyone at work about my D/S.  I also told my students, because I think it's important that teenagers understand that the choices they make as teens impact their health dramatically into adulthood.  It has been a great teaching/learning opportunity for so many people, most importantly myself.

As I head into the Christmas season, and the big family 'baking day' is tomorrow... I am not worried.  I will do what I am supposed to do, and I will not deviate from my chosen bath.  I adore roasted nuts, and roasted turkey - I will enjoy them tremendously, in the appropriate quantitiy for a healthy lifestyle.

I will weigh less on 1/1/12 than I do on 12/25/11 ... and that's something I would have NEVER expected of myself in the past.  

I hope everyone has a successful Holiday season.  I hope everyone finds as much happiness and success in their surgery results.   I hope that everyone has a prosperous and happy new year, and most importantly, good health to all who visit this message board - be it pre or post surgery.

Be well,

Mark
LovableLynn
on 12/21/11 11:29 pm - Qatar
Congratulations on your success Mark!! Keep it up!!

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

larra
on 12/22/11 12:54 am - bay area, CA
Mark, welcome and thank you for sharing your story with us. You are helping people irl and now here as well, probably more than you will ever know.

Larra
* Gail R *
on 12/22/11 1:19 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hi Mark, I am so impressed by your story. You're so smart to stay away from carbohydrates until you have lost all the weight. You certainly made the right decision for a healthy and long life. Congratulations!

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

fullhousemom
on 12/22/11 4:33 am
It's great that you have the ability to be a role model for your students. Whether you post on the board or not, its great that you can teach others about the DS. You sound like you are taking great care of yourself.  Keep up the good work and congratulations!  And a Merry Christmas to you as well!
Sher Bear Mama
on 12/22/11 5:01 am
 Your story is one that every "newbie" should read. It sounds like you're eating as you should and that you're going for what FEELS right to you.  Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm just a baby DSr and I have already learned from you.

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 5:18 am
 Congratulations Mark! You've done an amazing job (:
Larissa P.
on 12/22/11 5:25 am - Denton, TX
So glad you are doing well!

You don't mention vitamins, I hope you are taking them! :)
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Mark Morris
on 12/22/11 6:17 am - PA
Oh definitely! Bariatric Advantage high ADEK and supplemental Calcium, too.
annaleigh1979
on 12/22/11 10:45 am
Mark, you're doing wonderfully. Dr. Bonanni is a great surgeon, but his staff are undereducated/willfully ignorant about post-op diet and supplementation. Have you checked out Vitalady's website? I follow her plan and my labs are good.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 538 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 934 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 312 views