Hiatal Hernia repair and Incisional Hernia repair

chere
on 12/23/11 2:42 pm - Porterville, CA
Have any of you had the hiatal hernia repair done since you had your DS? I was curious how this affected your tummy. I know they take part of your stomach and wrap it around the bottom of the esophagus. Did this give you more restriction?

I have read that the diet after is kind of a bummer, the first 2 weeks clear liquids, weeks 3 and 4 full liquids and week 5 and 6 soft foods. I am afraid I am going to lose to much weight. I will be drinking milkshakes with protein powder around week 3 - 4 to try not to lose.

I weigh around 140. I add a lot of calories to keep it above the 140 mark.

Maybe even some enzymes might do me some good around this time also. I haven't taken any because I really have been very careful and I watch my weight so it doesn't drop to low.

They are going to also fix my incisional hernia while they are at it, but I don't think this will affect me much besides the lifting.

So now that I am done rambling. Has anyone had a hiatal hernia surgery repair and did you have a hard time with the restriction?

Thanks =)
5'7"  HW 319 - SW 315 - CW 143 - GW 158 

MajorMom
on 12/23/11 6:38 pm - VA
No experience but wishing you good luck. I don't think my innards could handle sweet milk shakes but I could double and triple up on protein shakes made with cream or 1/2 & 1/2. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Margaret F.
on 12/25/11 8:04 am - Miami, FL
I am also going to have a hiatal sliding hernia repair.  I don't want to though!
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/11 9:02 am
I had mine done at the same time as my DS, so unfortunately, I don't know the difference in a sleeve with or without the repair. 
1Blessed4life
on 12/31/11 5:38 pm
I had an umbilical hernia repair during my DS surgery Jan 22, 2010. I had an incisional hernia repaired with an anchor tummy tuck done on Aug 3rd, 2011. All I can say is OWCHIE! It was very painful (the anchor & tuck!! & I would Not recommend it for anyone without a need, or hernia needing repaired.)  I am doing better now, but still wear my wrap/tummy band at night & still have some pain when coughing or sneezing. Doc said it could easily take 6 mos for the mesh to adhere completely. I don't notice much difference in my eating now, as I also had issues of losing too much weight & was put on Creon to slow the weight loss, I added extra meals & snacks & was able to get off the creon, but I do still check the scales daily. I'll be 2 yrs ost DS on Jan 22nd & have maintained my weight at 133-135 lbs. size 6.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image 
 HW: 260 / SW: 254 / CW: 140 on 01/15/13 Orig GW: 150             ~Jeremiah 29:11  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views