Has anyone had severe pancreatitis prior to trying to get a full DS and by who?

neacres100
on 2/17/12 11:06 am - NJ
I'm looking to find anyone that has had severe pancreatitis prior to getting a full ds done.  Just trying to get information on adhesions, duodenum, and pancreas adhered to stomach etc.....  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
airbender
on 2/17/12 8:35 pm
I only know someone who had pancratitis post DS, on the plane when flying back from brazil from Dr. M.
neacres100
on 2/18/12 12:26 am - NJ
Thanks Airbender.  I think i remember reading about that on here.

larra
on 2/17/12 11:41 pm - bay area, CA
My brother had severe pancreatitis many years before his DS. Dr. Rabkin successfully did his DS about 3 or 4 years ago, but there were severe adhesions and distorted anatomy, and it took about 5 and 1/2 hours to do it. There were no complications and my brother has done great with his DS.

Larra
neacres100
on 2/18/12 12:28 am - NJ
Thanks Larra for that information. 

Can I send you a private message?  I'd like to ask you a few more questions, if I may.

larra
on 2/18/12 7:59 am - bay area, CA
Sure! I just don't promise to have good answers.

Larra
LosingSally
on 2/18/12 5:29 pm, edited 2/18/12 5:30 pm
I had pancreatitis years ago.
I had RNY with DS common channel, and the surgery took  longer than usual. Pancreatitis causes scarring, and no way to really know how much till you get in there.
I did well, so don't give up.
neacres100
on 2/20/12 4:02 am - NJ
thanks for your info.

yes, lots of scarring/adhesions.  mine were like cinder blocks.

yorkieGal
on 2/21/12 3:55 am - Clermont, FL
I had 4 bouts of acute pancreatitis, in the end they found out it was due to small gallbladder stones and my bile duct...it was SO painful!

I had my Ds in 2008 and although I had complications with a leak and collapsed lung, Dr Baltasar did not think any of this was connected to the pancreatitis. It did cause me to have issues with my blood sugar which I still have, I have reactive hypoglycaemia. It's so much worse if I start the day with Carbs or eat alot of sugar in isolation...I seem to tolerate sugar more easily if I combine it with some protein.
The symptoms are horrible, makes me feel sweaty, anxious, shaky hands, pale complexion, rubbery legs...However, most of the time it can be easily controlled by my diet. Mr PCP advised me to add Chromium picolinate to my supplements as it is supposed to help the body manage the blood sugar swings. I will do this the next time I make my bulk Vitamin orer!!

Best of luck, don;t be disheartened, just make sure the surgeon is fully informed and had any old scans or charts you may have access to!
Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 307 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 773 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 257 views