What is normal with fever after surgery...

alldredget
on 2/26/12 2:58 am - Comstock Park, MI
I had my gullbladder out a few years ago and forgot the spirometer at the hospital when I left and ended up with pnemonia.

I desparately don't want any sort of infections or pnemonia and have been very dilligent with the spirometer every hour or more. However I end up running a low-grade fever a little over 99 degree's each night. They weren't concerned in the hospital and I am not supposed to contact the surgeon's office unless it gets over 101.

So how common is a low grade fever after surgery? If it is very common, how long does it last?

Curious as to what peoples experiences were with this...

thanks, 
Diane Davis
on 2/26/12 4:35 am
Some people just normally run a little higher temp after trauma to their system.  It's your body's way of healing itself.

Don't stress over it, but do keep an eye on it.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
determineddanni
on 2/26/12 12:11 pm
it also depends on how high your body temp runs too. my body temp is below normal and i sit at 96.8 to 97.4 ish so when i hit 100 i might not be as high as some but that is a full blown fever for me. my body did run high (for me anyway) at 98 to 99 after surgery for about 3 weeks. so honestly i don't really have an answer but maybe my info might help:) good luck

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

alldredget
on 2/26/12 8:56 pm - Comstock Park, MI
Ok, that is good to know... Getting pnemonia with my gullbladder freaked me out and so I am extra sensitive to that. So far it has not gone above 99.6, so I think it is all part of the healing process and I will just continue to work on getting better.

Thanks for the reply's!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 272 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 103 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1033 views