RNY -> RNY -> DS - Surgery 3/15 and would love some feedback

route66hello
on 2/28/12 2:51 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12

Hello,

I am 47 years old. I had my first RNY in 2006. I lost about 125 lbs but gained at least 75 lbs back within the year. I started at 450, lost 25 on my own and lost about 125 after the surgery. I was 299.99 for about 10 seconds. I was always hungry and never had much restriction. I had a revision in 2009 to essentially the same surgery. I was around 375 and got down to 350. I am not sure of my weight now but it is back up around 400 lbs. I have almost no restriction with my RNY even though the pouch is not stretched. I feel as if I am almost always hungry.

I had thought of the Duodenal Switch (DS) back in 2009 but my surgeon did not do it though I did talk to him about it. I know now I should never have had the second revision.

I found Dr. John Rabkin’s name on this site. I have been working with his office since Oct 2011 and now have a surgery date for 3/15/12. I believe the DS surgery is right for me and also suspect in the years to come it will become the new standard in Weight Loss Surgery (WLS). I have only meant with Dr. Rabkin briefly but will see him again a few days before the surgery. I feel good about all the positive things I have read about him on this site and also from other medical professionals at St. Mary’s hospital while I have been getting my pre-op medical clearances.

The problem is I am very scared. It is a basic fear about dying due to having this surgery. A revision of this type is an open procedure where my previous two where laparoscopic. You come home with a drain and a feeding tube (for emergency). It is a longer surgery, a more risky surgery, etc… I feel like I have done my due diligence and found a good surgeon but the fear is still there. I may weigh 400 lbs but I have a 7 year old little girl and I am here and in her life. My family and friends are not particular supportive because of the risks.

I was wondering if anyone else has had three WLS? I would very much like to hear your thoughts… both good and bad. I do appreciate this site as I have learned a lot by reading.

Thanks so much, Terri

MajorMom
on 2/28/12 6:53 pm - VA
You have chosen one of the best DS and revision surgeons on the planet--be confident in that. There are a few folks that have had 3 WLSs, some are on Facebook. There are several other DS support groups if you're interested in having the links, let me know. I'll see about sending a message to a very sweet lady who had 3 surgeries letting her know you're asking.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

teachmid
on 2/28/12 8:25 pm - OKC, OK
Congratulations! The nerves are normal. Excellent choice of surgeons!

I traveled for my RNy to DS revision and came home with a feeding tube. The first few weeks were tough, but doable and are now just a remote memory.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

fullhousemom
on 2/28/12 8:51 pm
 Congrats!  Your fear of dying is normal, but at 400 pounds, I have to believe that death can come quickly and unexpected due to other health issues. 

You have a great surgeon.  That in itself is the single most important thing you can do for yourself. 

Keep reading and researching. 

I was surprised to find in a thread a while back, that most DS surgeries are open. While lap is becoming more common, most of the respondents were open.   I remember a thread a while back where a woman had a revision done lap, and suffered great complications. It turned out that the surgeon couldnt see some problems on the other side of her stomach, which caused her stomach to die. Had the surgery been performed open, the surgeon would have seen it. 

My surgeon told me he only does the DS open so that he can "see everything.".   That makes more sense to me now after knowing what happened to the woman above.   Don't be intimidated or concerned that your other two surgeries were lap. Your recovery may be a little different, but the open DS, especially the revision, is an excellent surgery. 

Best wishes!  And make very very sure you get the info that Major Mom is offering tou!
larra
on 2/29/12 12:08 am - bay area, CA
Being scared is normal, but don't let the fact that the surgery will be open be part of your fears. This is common with revisions of this type, and will actually make your surgery much safer than trying to do it lap would be.
     I wish you had started posting here sooner. Dr. Rabkin's group sponsors support groups around the bay area, and we have a nice little group in San Jose that would be happy to welcome you. We meet there the third Wednesday of every month, so by our next meeting you'll be a fresh post-op and not up to coming, but you (and any support person) could join us in April.
     The big group meets in SF the second Wednesday of each month - maybe you've already been there. I hope so, because there is a lot to learn, and the meetings are valuable for both knowledge and support. 

Larra
maryc543
on 2/29/12 12:15 am
Hi Terri,
I haven't had 3 surgeries, so I can't speak to that....but...
  I have read wonderful things about your surgeon on OH from many of his patients....   you have chosen well.    Please keep posting and reading, there is a lot of information to be gained from the experiences of the OH members, here and on other sites. 
   I was 430 pounds, and have lost to 170 and maintained it for several years.....   It's amazing the energy difference!   Good Luck,  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Amanda S.
on 2/29/12 2:00 am - New York, NY
I only had one surgery but I was in the hospital alone and I totally freaked out before surgery. I was in tears and I said "God why me???"  Fast Forward to today.... II have a different life. It was one of the best decisions I have made in my life.  I will keep you in prayer.

Amanda

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

someguy
on 2/29/12 2:46 am
I'm not sure open surgery is anymore risky than lap. In fact, I remember reading a study about how open DS surgery may actually be slightly safer than lap because it reduces the time under anesthesia.

adkmtngirl
on 2/29/12 3:38 am - Brant Lake, NY
 You have chosen a great surgeon from everything I've read. Keep posting and reading here, you will get lots of been there done that advice & great knowledge.
Kristina

sweetdew
on 2/29/12 4:14 am - CA

Hello Terri,

My name is Shireen and please feel free to look at my profile and story. I have had three WLS, the last being the DS. I have my own experience not the norm of many on this board. However, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to talk with you and share all my thoughts and experiences thus far to help you make the best decision possible for you. I am one of the lades that Gina wanted you to talk to. My number at work is 310 581-1259. Please feel free to call me anytime to talk.

sincerely,
Shireen

Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 553 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 944 views
Need help for my mom