Water intake??? Worried

Monica22
on 3/20/12 1:13 pm - Shakopee, MN
DS on 03/15/12
I am 5 days post op and having troubles getting enough water in me.  Is the 64 that important?  I get more in everyday but it can only handle so much until i get really ill like almost to tossing the cookies you know.  Today i got about 30 oz in and thats like 10-15 more then yesterday.  Do I pu**** to where i throw it up to try and get it in or just keep building it up???  Dr. has me on clear lig the first week.
Monica22
on 3/20/12 1:14 pm - Shakopee, MN
DS on 03/15/12
not sure why for the ** but it was pu****
AundreaSmith
on 3/20/12 1:37 pm, edited 3/20/12 1:38 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hang in there Monica, I am right there with you!

My physician wants us to have 64oz of water AND 4 protein supplements per day.  I am 8 days post op and have yet to get in THAT much fluid.  I am typically getting in a good 32-48oz of water and 2-3 protein supplements a day and I feel STUFFED.

I have not pushed myself to the point where things have come up, but I am watching my output to make sure that I am NOT getting dehydrated.  According to my surgeon, he said if it comes between the water and the protein, DRINK THE WATER.

Keep hydrated and just do what you can....you're DEFINITELY not alone. 

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Raven300
on 3/20/12 5:29 pm
 Think of the number as a goal rather than something that is set in stone. You want to avoid getting dehydrated.  It is extremely unpleasant, involves a trip to the hospital and sets you back in terms of recovery.  Doctors sort of have to set numbers for patients to attempt to attain otherwise they get the odd patient that doesnt really try to get much fluid or protein in at all.

My surgeon told me to get as much in as possible - water and protein.  The best way to get tha****er in is to have a glass with you constantly and to take one sip every 5mins. At first, it is a pain in the behind and I literally had to use a timer to do it.  Eventually, it got alot easier and I learned to drink little sips all day long.  It took quite awhile to build up to 64oz per day. This is especially true because one gets quite full when eating/drinking protein and there just isnt alot of room for water around the feeding times.

Just do the best you can.  Try to get in as much as you can, but dont worry if you cant get in the full amount.  You're only 5 days out.  Your new smaller stomach is still swollen and angry after being cut and made smaller.

It gets easier as time goes by.  Good luck!
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

Valerie G.
on 3/21/12 4:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
It's so normal to not feel like eating or drinking. You won't feel hungry at all. Not much will taste the least big palatable either. Neither of these is an excuse to not give your body what it needs. Know now that you need to drink 64 oz of fluids in any way, shape or form you can get them in. Experiment with flavors and temperatures and find something that you can tolerate. I resorted to sweet decaf tee and green Kool-Aid (both with Splenda), because all of a sudden, Crystal Light tasted like pure poison to me. It took some trial and error to find what I could tolerate, but I managed. Once I found them, though, it made getting in my fluids much easier. I suggest a giant 64oz cup with a straw that you can carry around with you. Take a sip before you do anything; take another sip when you're done. If you're watching TV, take a sip for every commercial. If you're watching South Park, take a sip every time someone calls Cartman a fatass. Watch mob movies and programs and drink whenever someone gets whacked or cusses. Yes, make drinking games! 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AundreaSmith
on 3/21/12 9:02 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Lord Valerie you crack me up!!!  I will have to try to watch South Park and drink to the term "fat ass".  LMFAO!

Monica22
on 3/21/12 1:54 pm - Shakopee, MN
DS on 03/15/12
Found a drink that does not upset the tummy, before it was so upset was almost always throwing up.  Got over 64 oz today in!!!
AundreaSmith
on 3/21/12 2:07 pm - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Sooo....spill the beans!  What worked for you?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 352 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 806 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views