Sugar free icing

MARTINA P.
on 4/7/12 3:03 am - ROCKMART, GA
I need a recipe to sugar free icing.  I do not do well with sugar.  Please help. 
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

MajorMom
on 4/7/12 3:49 am - VA
I've been known to just use regular Cool Whip as icing. Or, you might try blending together softened cream cheese and Cool Whip. :)

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

trxxyy
on 4/7/12 7:22 am - Orange County, CA
 Here is a recipe for sugar free swiss meringue buttercream, I add a tiny bit of almond extract too:
Sugar-Free Buttercream Frosting

Makes enough to frost 3-6 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1 large egg white
1/4 cup xylitol (honey might work as well)
6 tablespoons unsalted organic butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, cut into chunks
Pinch good tasting pure stevia extract (optional, for best flavor)
Big pinch sea salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (clear imitation vanilla recommended)

Preparation:
Step by step photos for making a swiss meringue buttercream icing can be found here.

Whisk egg white together with xylitol in a stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan full of water. You don't want the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Set heat to medium-low to bring water to a simmer. Whisk egg white with xylitol 3-5 minutes, or until xylitol is completely dissolved. Dip clean fingers into egg white mixture, and pinch for any undissolved granules. Mixture will appear white and foamy. Remove steel bowl from water, and beat egg white mixture until it has about doubled in volume, and is room temperature (cool to the touch). Beat in vanilla and salt. Add chunks of softened butter or shortening, one at a time, beating for 3-5 minutes until mixture is smooth and no longer curdled. Beat in a tiny pinch of stevia and taste for sweetness, making adjustments if necessary. Don't fret if your buttercream doesn't look smooth for awhile--it will eventually come together!

If after incorporating the butter the icing is too "loose" and soupy, sit the mixing bowl in an ice bath to cool, or stick the bowl into the freezer for a few minutes, and try beating again. If the mixture is chunky like cottage cheese, heat the bowl over the simmering water again and try beating until it comes together into a smooth icing. Use a spatula to smooth out the consistency. Finally, if you think the frosting tastes too "greasy," trying cutting back the butter by one or two tablespoons. Leave out the stevia. It will be considerably sweeter, though.

Transfer frosting to a piping bag, or just spread directly on cupcakes. To revive refrigerated frosting, microwave it for 5-8 seconds, and stir around bowl with a spatula until smooth and creamy again. Or whip until fluffy with beaters.

~0-26g net carbs per batch of frosting, depending on how you count xylitol
beemerbeeper
on 4/7/12 8:14 am - AL
Land O Lakes Sugar-Free Whipped Heavy Cream. 

~Becky

Valerie G.
on 4/7/12 11:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Beware of things ending in 'tol', like xylitol, malitol, sorbitol.  Many people experience horrible gastric issues from it.  My best bet for icing is mixing cool whip with instant pudding.  Try vanilla pudding and chopped pineapple for an absolutely wonderful icing.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mrsannie
on 4/7/12 10:30 pm
 I'm with Valerie!  I saw your post and though****CH OUT!!!

Good luck!  :)

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
zuzupetals2u2
on 4/9/12 9:17 am - Sedona, AZ
 I love xylitol and use it exclusively now. I have to go to a health food store to get it so I figured it must be special. I don't notice gas from it. It sure tastes more like sugar than the other stuff so I use it on my Greek yogurt with berries and walnuts. YUM! 

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1081 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1249 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 511 views