stuck at 80

brigitta
on 5/1/12 2:54 am - Germantown, MD
 can someone please tell me im not making a mistake.... i had the sleeve over a year ago and have been at a stall for the past four months.... i am serious about going back for the duodenal switch.  While I understand that this was just a tool... I tried sticking to the diet and routine and then I still could not overcomethe stall.  Out fo fustration I began eating not a lot (because I cant)  but eating more often and sneaking in carbs..   ive gained about 6 pounds....

I just feel that  need to take it to the next level to get off these last 50-60 pounds or im going to fall into the deepest depression.

Am i wrong for wanting this revision so soon?

Valerie G.
on 5/1/12 10:02 am, edited 5/1/12 12:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Too soon or too late, you'll not find any respectable surgeon willing to do something as powerful as the DS on someone who only needs to lose 50 lbs. You have to be morbidly obese to qualify, even as a revision.

Also, with a restriction-only surgery, the expected long-term weight loss is around 50%, so statistically, your results are considered a success for your procedure. You may find some significant challenges requesting a revision of a currently successful surgery.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

brigitta
on 5/1/12 11:06 am - Germantown, MD
 thanks valerie....I am still in the obese category according to my BMI  and my insurance opened my case for a revision so I thought that would be okay  considering my doctor and many blogs state that the sleeve is part 1 of the duodenal?...  I will be checking in with my doctor on thursday.   well see.

Valerie G.
on 5/1/12 11:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You may need to be pre-approved for a 2 part DS from the start.  It's worth a try, but being obese and morbidly obese are two very different things.  They have to deternine that there is a flaw in your sleeve now and a truly medical reason that you cannot lose weight.  It's an uphill battle, but it never hurts to ask.
  Good luck

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

WeightNoMoreSherri
on 5/1/12 12:08 pm - St George, UT
 Take a breath and know that a revision is possible if you have choosen another surgery and it is not working for you. I had my DS 13 years ago and stand behind it 100%, not because that is the surgery I had but because I know it is why I weight 124 pounds and not 332 any longer.

I would suggest you visit my site to learn about the revision to the DS and my surgeons information because don't let depression take hold of you, it all works out in the end and now that you are active with your health, it will work out.

Have you spoken with your surgeon to see if there is a problem you can solve? Are you eating along a plan? If you have done everything you can to make your surgery work there is always information out there for revisions.

Hug yourself just a little bit harder and take the next strep.

~ Peace, Sherri   

Sherri ~ BPD/DS ~ Dr. Robert Rabkin ~ San Francisco ~
                 March 15th, 1999 SW 332 CW 123
NoMore B.
on 5/1/12 12:14 pm, edited 5/1/12 12:14 pm
 Really?  Please explain to me how a revision is possible without meeting minimum BMI requirements, or having some other type of serious medical issue with the original surgery.  I'd really like to understand what you mean here.
NoMore B.
on 5/1/12 10:58 pm
 Do you have any obesity related co-morbidites, like sleep apnea or diabetes?  Without them, no way will you get approved, even with a 35 BMI
southernlady5464
on 5/1/12 11:04 pm
On May 1, 2012 at 7:41 PM Pacific Time, brigitta wrote:
 as far as  why i thought this was possible....it was because my doctor actully made the statement that if it didn't work out for me i could come back to get the switch or rny... as far as meeting the insurance requirements ....that's what im saying the bmi requirment is 35.0  and mine is like 34.99...so close i guess that's why the nurse reopened the case.??? i'll let youll know the outcome.   my restriction is great but o feel that the second part wll allw me to drop the last 50-60 and the be able to maintain.

You STILL need a co-morbid at a 35 BMI...until you reach a 40 BMI. UNnless there is a documented reason for the VSG to be failing you.

Your best bet is to cut carbs and ADD protein and more protein...and add your daily intake to the Menus and Miles thread on the Lightweight board so others there can help you lose the rest of your weight. We have lots of successful sleevers who lost all their weight and maintain their loss.

Whatever you do, do NOT revise to the RNY...asking for extra problems there. But any revision needs documentation to get. But it sounds like your surgeon sold you a bill of goods...promising the DS and then giving you a sleeve telling you to revise later? Sounds like a bait & switch surgeon unless he had a MEDICAL reason for not finishing the DS.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

brigitta
on 5/1/12 12:38 pm - Germantown, MD
 thanks sherri for a little hope i will definitely let youll know what the insurance decided.   

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 627 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 985 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 335 views