Newbie Vitamin Question

Izabelle G.
on 6/14/12 2:22 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
So after my original labs were complete, the nurse at the doctor's office called me and told me to start taking a multivitamin, a D-3, and a sublingual B-12.

As I research while I await my appointments with the surgeon and the nutritionist, I notice you guys take a lot more vitamins.

So I was just wondering if I am correct in assuming that I will be put on different vitamins once I have the surgery?

The literature sent from the surgeon's office has an outline including Iron pills and Calcium pills. Should I start taking them now? Or not because they didn't specifically tell me to take them.

MajorMom
on 6/14/12 2:37 am - VA
It probably wouldn't hurt to take them but do you have any nutritional labs to go by yet?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Izabelle G.
on 6/14/12 4:09 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
Yes. It was based on the labs that she recommended the D3 and the B12. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt to take them.

Thanks!
MajorMom
on 6/14/12 8:11 am - VA
I had to start my iron slowly but soon got up to the dose I needed. I take carbonyl iron and heme iron. They're easier for us to absorb than the ones you'll find in the drug store, which are usually ferrous sulfate--not a good one for us. The carbonyl is labeled Tender iron on Vitalady's site and she also carries Proferrin ES, the heme iron. Heme iron is the easiest on our systems and one of the most absorbable forms. You just snap the tablet into 2 pieces and take it that way. The calcium that works well for many of us is calcium citrate rather than calcium carbonate. 

www.vitalady.com is the link.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Izabelle G.
on 6/14/12 11:47 pm - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
Thanks for the tips Gina. I will order them this weekend. I want to get used to the vitamins sooner rather than later.
jarabacoagirl
on 6/15/12 5:48 pm, edited 6/15/12 5:49 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
I'd say that the nutristionist will probably tell you when you go on the 28th.  But in the meantime take anything the Maggie (I'm assumming she's the nurse that called you.) suggests if your labs ran low.   My Vitamin D is low, I was already taking that so I increased it by 1000 mg more/daily.  I also take a multivitiman daily and iron.  As I tend to be low Iron at times and it's good to be normal in iron levels before any surgery in case there's a blood loss.  At the same time we don't want too much iron either.  So go by your labs.  I'm sure when we go the nutristionist will have more suggestions.  I think that once we have surgery we will have to take chewable or liquid vitamins for a while from what I hear. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 796 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views