Protein Shakes/Powder

Izabelle G.
on 6/18/12 2:48 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
I have been trying the protein drink. The ready made ones. I am a preparer. I want to know which ones I like so when it becomes my only source of food during the liquid stages I will know what I like.

So which are your favorites? I have tried Muscle Milk chocolate and vanilla. I tried Isopure Alpine punch and Special K strawberry. I know the Special K is not good due to the high sugar content.

Also do you know where we can get samples of the powder? I don't want to buy a tub and hate the taste.
bubbles6472
on 6/18/12 3:13 am - Perkasie, PA
 Well some advice...you can only prepare so much as what might taste good now probably won't after surgery.  I am almost 2 months out and still can't seem to find a protein shake I can tolerate without wanting to vomit.  I wish there were ways to take it other then as a shake.  But as for samples your Doctors office should give you some from the NUT you see there.  And vitalady.com has many samples you can buy to see what tastes good to you.  I have had two issues with protein shakes and the first is the smell being overbearing and the other is the gritty texture when you make your own.  I enjoyed Atkins premade shakes but they are expensive and the one I had only had 10 grams of protein in them.  Thinking of trying them again but adding more protein powder to them and seeing if that will help me out.  I swear the one I had tasted like a starbucks iced latte.  I don't remember the exact name as it was something with mocha and chocolate in it.  I tried the Special K one also in strawberry but didn't like the aftertaste as it tasted like plastic to me.  I find this protein thing to be the hardest part of it all.  So don't go out and buy a huge bucket of one flavor before surgery as your tastebuds might change or your stomach might say HELL NO.  Wait til you know for sure it is a flavor u can drink everyday.  Good luck and post suggestions if you care to share.  Thanks!

Donna
Valerie G.
on 6/18/12 5:56 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Go to GNC, vitalady, bariatriceating.com, wherever, and buy single servings.  Save them until after your surgery.    DO NOT BUY anything big right now.  What you like today you could very well absolutely HATE as a post op.    Also, double-check the liquid phase thing, because I never had to do that as a post op (or pre op for that matter).  Some docs are more conservative, though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MajorMom
on 6/18/12 7:32 am - VA
Some of the ones to try if you like chocolate are Optimum Nutrition, Syntrax Nectar and JayRobb whey protein isolate. JayRobb also makes an egg white based powder that might be worth trying as well. I can get all of those at VitaminShoppe or everything but JayRobb at Vitalady.com.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Jenee M.
on 6/19/12 7:08 am - Bakersfield, CA
DS on 06/12/12
 The only ready made protein drink I like is the Premier Nutrition chocolate.  It's 30 grams of protein, only 160 calories, just 1 gram of sugar, almost non-fat, and lots of extra vitamins and minerals.  They are sold at Costco and Sam's Club and are delicious.  I did not notice that the Premier website sells any type of samples.  EAS is another excellent protein powder brand.  

J Morris

kiwi C.
on 6/19/12 1:12 pm
I also like the premier shakes! Both vanilla and chocolate are really good. I really want to try the strawberry kind but I don't think Costco carries it. I just add ice cubes to the shake and it tastes pretty good. :)
maryc543
on 6/21/12 12:33 am
Pre-made, I like the EAS carb advantage chocolate fudge....  17gm protein, 4 carbs.....  sold in most grocery stores in a 4 pack, but cheapest at Walmart  , about 4.79 a four pack.
Great to keep in the office fridge, or to grab on the go....

I also buy the EAS powder in the big bags at Costco or Sam's club....  higher protein than the pre-made, will mix with milk or water,  low carb,   cheaper than pre-made.

I tried a bunch after surgery and wound up giving away tubs of them.  If you have to go to pre-op meetings, ask the other people there to bring you a baggie with the mixing instructions on it, have a 'sample' exchange.  Buy sample sizes rather than whole tubs because your tastes really will change! 

Good Luck!     Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

JazzyOne9254
on 6/21/12 2:11 am
I get my Whey Protein Isolate and most everything else I need from Lucky Vitamin.  I get my Dry D from Pro Health, however, it is a tad expensive there.

You can get 10# bags of Whey or WPI from Lucky, and beleive it or not, I've also seen some on eBay!

Make sure you invest in a couple of Blender Bottles for your shakes.  Lucky and several other places have them.  Maybe on eBay, I haven't looked there for them. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Izabelle G.
on 6/25/12 2:34 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have found 3-4 different types that I like so I am prepared for the first few days. I have a few months to go, but I am definitely like having options.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 349 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 805 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views