...eating AND drinking WITH meals

Carmelita
on 7/1/12 2:06 pm - Four Corners, NM
 My question would be whet other bad/wrong advice have you been given?  .....I thought I made it clear in my OP..that I was asking a question, not intending to answer one

One size fits all advice scares me.
 (?) Im not sure what you mean.  

You do not have a RnY.
.......I thought I made it clear I have a VSG. Its listed as my wl surgery of choice for almost 4 years now...on my avatar thingie.

Hang out with people who are living successfully with YOUR surgery type.
 Indeed I have for 4 years . I don't know how this statement relates to the question posed.  

No need to reply, Im going back under my rock.  

THANKS SO MUCH to everyone else!! 
MsBatt
on 7/2/12 2:31 am
On July 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM Pacific Time, Carmelita wrote:
 My question would be whet other bad/wrong advice have you been given?  .....I thought I made it clear in my OP..that I was asking a question, not intending to answer one

One size fits all advice scares me.
 (?) Im not sure what you mean.  

You do not have a RnY.
.......I thought I made it clear I have a VSG. Its listed as my wl surgery of choice for almost 4 years now...on my avatar thingie.

Hang out with people who are living successfully with YOUR surgery type.
 Indeed I have for 4 years . I don't know how this statement relates to the question posed.  

No need to reply, Im going back under my rock.  

THANKS SO MUCH to everyone else!! 
Carmelita, I think you're taking offense where none was intended.

When you make a post asking a question, you should be prepared to answer questions as well. That's give and take, right? And given that your post was about bad/wrong advice you wre given by a medical professional, it's fairly normal to wonder what other bad advice you've gotten. Even so, I really think this was intended as a 'rhetorical' question.

BB's referring to the fact that you were given RNY advice, not surgery-specific advice, hence the comment about 'one size fits all' advice being a bad thing.

EVERYBODY knows you've got a VSG. Becky was merely pointing out, again, that RNY advice doesn't apply to you---because she KNOWS you've got a VSG.

And when she says hang out with others who have your surgery type, she's NOT trying to tell you to go back under your rock---she's again pointing out the RNYers and VSGers have different needs.Not so much to you, but to others who may be reading this post looking for similar information. If that gets up your nose---well, maybe you should go back undr that roc****il your nose is a little less sensitive. (*grin*)
TravelingMomofTwo
on 7/2/12 11:07 am
 I was told no drinking with meals as well (DS) but all advice is the same RNY advice.  Makes no sense to me since we have different configurations. That being said post op it will be all about fluid between meals and protein every other possible moment!

And, it's hard to read between the lines with text. Answering emails all day long I've learned the hard way to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, assuming they mean well, until I'm positive they mean to attack me...jmo. 

Best of luck to you!

DS Surgery Date Scheduled for July!

HW: 277

JazzyOne9254
on 7/4/12 3:08 pm

Yes you *can* eat and drink with meals;  it gets easier after your first year.

Case in point:  My surgical report says my immediate post-op sleeve capacity was 2.8 oz. I can now comfortably eat 8-10 oz of food at a sitting. What really gives me trouble is white meat chicken and hamburger, because of the tendency for it to swell up when you drink fluids.  Rice,  certain types of bread and pastries, and cooked cereals do the same thing, so I eat considerably less of those foods. 

The sleeve is designed to stretch some during the first year in a process called sleeve maturation.  We need to be able to hold more food because we are more malabsorptive than RNY's  Our sleeves are *supposed* to increase capacity, where RNY's need to guard against pouch stretching.  The DS is extremely difficult to "break" that way. 

My hosptial's "DS Owner's Manual" had gradual increases in quantity and bulk of foods during the first year, so that by the end of that first year, you could comfortably eat 6 to 8 ounces of food in a sitting, and for some, even 10 oz, depending on common channel length. The shorter the common channel, the more you have to eat and supplement.

What you have encountered is the "one plan fits all" mentality of many bariatric programs.  Their information is geared toward RNY's, because they are in the majority when it comes to bariatric surgery.

That's why OH exists, so we can help take care of each other, until the NUTS get a clue, and that's why I'm studying to become a Registered Dietitian with a bariatric specialty!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

preachermomma37
on 7/6/12 10:51 am - TN
 My "nuts" drive me nuts they have no concept of DS math. My doctor is the only one who gets it & we don't spend enough time together to get enough information. I rely alot on OH and other board to get my guidance. My nuts also have no concept that we only absorb 20% of our fat. Hense I can eat red meat and butter and bacon fat. If they knew the fat I took in they would have a cow, but it keeps me regular.
MsBatt
on 7/7/12 8:32 am
On July 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM Pacific Time, preachermomma37 wrote:
 My "nuts" drive me nuts they have no concept of DS math. My doctor is the only one who gets it & we don't spend enough time together to get enough information. I rely alot on OH and other board to get my guidance. My nuts also have no concept that we only absorb 20% of our fat. Hense I can eat red meat and butter and bacon fat. If they knew the fat I took in they would have a cow, but it keeps me regular.

I just had to laugh when I read this.

I've been in the hospital a couple of times since my DS (not in any way related TO my DS), and each time I thought I was going to die from constipation. I simply could NOT get them to feed me properly!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 358 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 817 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views