A few "personal" questions...

spybo
on 7/13/12 9:51 am - Houston area, TX
Hello, all.  I am considering finishing my sleeve to DS.  I am at my pre sleeve weight.  I have read all the info on this site and on DS Facts but am interested in peoples' personal experiences.  I have a few questions:

1.  If you were to eat a chicken breast sandwich, could you eat the bun?

2.  Can you eat potatoes?

3.  I have had reactive hypoglycemia since my sleeve...Will that get worse or stay the same?

4. I sometimes get diarrhea now after a meal.  Do you think this would get worse after the switch, and is it mostly caused by simple carbs  (sugar?) after the switch? 

5. How many times a day do most of you take your vitamins? 

I'm sure I have more questions, but will sign off for now.  Thanks in advance.
MajorMom
on 7/13/12 10:02 am - VA
Welcome! :)

1. I have trouble eating chicken breast at all. Usually too dense and dry for me. I could eat fried chicken breast but it would have to be very moist. I probably would chose not to eat bread with chicken white or dark meat.

2. I do like potatoes and eat them at least once a week.

3. I would guess that your RH might stay the same if you eat or drink carbs and sweets. Low carbing is still a good way to go--keep sugar and carbs to a minimum but oils and fats are ok.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

spybo
on 7/13/12 10:29 am - Houston area, TX
Thanks, Gina.

My sleeve is like having nothing, I have no problems eating a whole chicken breast.  I was very disappointed in getting the sleeve.

I just would find it easier to eat more meats with a bun or slice of whole wheat toast.  When I have tried very low carb eating in the past I felt very shaky, low blood sugary etc.
Band to DS
on 7/13/12 10:26 am
I'm only 9 weeks out from surgery, so I can't really answer your first 4 questions. I've got an answer for #5, though. I take vitamins 4 times a day. I follow Vitalady's plan for DSers & will adjust what I take after I get labs drawn in 3 weeks. Here's a link to the vitamin regimen for you:

http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3-2010.pdf

Good luck with your research!

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

MARTINA P.
on 7/13/12 10:27 am - ROCKMART, GA
 Everything that major mom GIna said.  I can not eat chicken breast at all.  I have learned that carbs is what cost all of my bathroom problems.  With DS you have to remember that it is important to take your vitamins and remember that protein is important.  Sugar is really bad for you with any type of WLS.  I do not eat potatos because I feel bloated afterward.  I advise you to read and check out DS Facts.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

spybo
on 7/13/12 10:35 am - Houston area, TX
Do you guys think your difficulty with chicken breast is due to your sleeve being small or the switch portion?
MajorMom
on 7/13/12 7:23 pm - VA
Sleeve is small. When you get the switch you may want to talk to your surgeon about decreasing the size of your sleeve if it's larger than he thinks it should be. The restriction part is just as important as the malabsorption part.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

JazzyOne9254
on 7/26/12 3:08 am, edited 7/26/12 3:30 am
For me, chicken breast tends to "swell up" when I drink after eating it, making my sleeve feel overfull, and most often resulting in losing my lunch/dinner. I think that's what makes chicken breast such a problem for most DSers.
I stick mostly to dark meat now, but if I do eat breast meat, I've learned to eat smaller portions, and to eat it very slowly, to give it time to leave the sleeve and make room for more.

I still eat potatoes, but they have never been one of my favorites, so I just use them as a side dish occasionally. Rice is my favorite complex carb!

I have never had RH with or without the DS. The DH will firm up as you get further out.

I take vites 6 times a day, separating calcium from all other vites and minerals except D and magnesium.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Valerie G.
on 7/13/12 11:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 1)  I'll start with an article I dontated to dsfacts.com:

Many fresh post-ops have discovered that chicken breast might not be the easiest meat to eat. I've got a couple of suggestions for y'all, and some of them work on any meat, but the mention of chicken comes to mind the most as I just read about someone's struggles with chicken early out.

Best Advice Ever!
Pound your meat!! Place the breast filet between wax paper or in a Ziploc and pound it with a flat mallet or rolling pin until it's about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. This breaks up the fibers in the chicken, making it easier to chew.

Brine your meat!
I do this with chicken as well as pork. Soak in sal****er, garlic and spices (I also do Worcestershire) for about 30 min. It makes it nice and juicy.

Slow cook your meat!
Cook on low, poach, or bake with sauce.

Finally, as goes with any meat, add sauce, gravy or just plain butter. Some extra added stuff just makes it easier to eat overall.

2)  I enjoy potatoes a few times a week.  They're a complex carb so we dont absorb as much as simple carbs, but its exremely high on the glycemic index just the same.  French fries for some reason get caught up if I eat them too fast.  

3) no reactive hypoglycemia.

4) I take vitamins 4-5 times a day - most before lunch

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

spybo
on 7/13/12 11:43 am - Houston area, TX
I can already eat a whole chicken breast, but was wondering if I would be able to eat it on a small bun.

Thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views