Has anyone under 40 BMI been successful with DS. Has anyone delt with Dr Ganger out of...

Armyguy1976
on 7/12/12 10:50 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
Evening all,

I'm a 16 year Canadian Forces member who has struggled throughout my career with obesity. I'm finally at a point in my life where i'm excited to proceed with WLS and after well over a year of research have chosen to go the DS route. I'm currently 39.5 BMI with Sleep Apnea, GERD(mild and easily controled with med) borderline HBP, blood sugar and my familys medical history is littered with heart disease, cancer, diabities, and HBP.

I've read DS can be successful with "lightweights" and is the most effective surgery long term.

My problem is the military has finally approved me proceeding with WLS but there pushing me towards RNY or Lapband . I'm steadfast in my desire for DS and will go the self pay route even if it means having a free RNY or Lapband offered.

Has anyone delt with Dr Gagner self pay? Will he even preform DS on those many consider light weights.

Any help/info would be great , cheers

Kb
Valerie G.
on 7/12/12 11:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Criteria for DS is BMI of 40, which you can achieve with some loose change in your pocket, or 35 with comorbs, which you also have.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MajorMom
on 7/12/12 7:03 pm - VA
From what I've been hearing lately about Gagner he will give you a sleeve and that's it. He's on a new kick that only extremely obese need the DS and then maybe in 2 parts.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 7/13/12 12:29 am - bay area, CA
It's difficult to figure out what's going on with Dr. G. He is known for doing the DS and revisions to the DS, but lately he's been talking up the sleeve more than anything else. As to whether or not he would consider a DS for a lightweight, even with comorbidities, I don't know. You would need to contact him and ask about your particular situation.

There are other alternatives for you if you are self-pay, though not so mu*****anada. A lot of Canadians have used Dr. Lutrzykowski in Michigan, though that was when OHIP paid the bill - I have no idea how much he would charge a self-pay.

I think your best bet at this point would be to check the list of DS surgeons at dsfacts.com and see who would work for you. Most DS surgeons see patients from out of town (or out of country) and their staff can tell you self-pay rates.

Larra
MsBatt
on 7/13/12 1:55 am
If you're willing to go the self-pay route, also look at surgeons in other countries. There's Ungson in Mexico, Marchesni in Brazil, and Baltazar in Spain.
ididabadbadthing
on 7/13/12 5:21 am - TN
 Do you have contact information for Dr. Ungson? I tried all the numbers from dsfacts, here and google and none work?

MajorMom
on 7/13/12 7:28 am - VA
Here's what I got from one of his patients a couple of weeks ago. Dr U is [email protected] and Luz, the office manager, [email protected]. She says they will respond but it may take a couple of days.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jmckel1
on 7/13/12 9:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
My BMI was 37 and Dr. Gagner gave me the DS in two parts: the sleeve in December of 2011 and the intestinal portion three weeks ago. Expensive to do in two parts, but according to Gagner, I had too many adhesions from previous lap-band surgeries to get the DS done in a single operation. From what I understand, he charges $13,000 for a virgin sleeve. I paid $17, 500 for the second part of the DS plus $15,000 for the sleeve (price increase due to lap-band removal).

Band to DS
on 7/13/12 10:34 am, edited 7/13/12 10:45 am
I think you'll do great with the DS as a lightweight, but I would not recommend the doctor that you mentioned. His patients have posted some really strange stories about his behavior lately. You should check into Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joe's Hamilton. He's not on the vetted surgeon's list at www.dsfacts.com/, but I've read about several people having the DS with him.

Good luck with your research!

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

mylittleblackdress
on 7/15/12 2:26 am, edited 7/15/12 2:26 am - FL
I was a lightweight two years ago when I had my DS performed by Dr. Marchesini in Brazil. In 9 months following my surgery I was below my goal weight.  I continue to maintain my weight loss and except for intolerance for white flour and soy I have no problems.  I love my surgeon and my DS!!
I have never felt or looked so good!  I still am surprised when I see myself in pictures.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 951 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1158 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 412 views