Need advice on DS procedure

Maybaby71
on 7/28/12 12:34 pm - NC
VSG on 12/19/12
 Hi all.  I'm new to the site and am very interested in getting the DS procedure.  I would appreciate any feedback from those who have had it done with their overall experience.  It sounds like it would be perfect for me since there are no food restrictions, just permanent portion control.  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thank you!

bliss1203
on 7/28/12 1:49 pm - souderton, PA
 Dsfacts.com is a great place to start.
Virgo64
on 7/28/12 2:46 pm
As far as food restrictions go, it isn't a free-for-all.  You could find that after the surgery that you are now lactose intolerant or that there are other foods that you have to stay away from because they literally make you sick.  For example, too many carbs can cause horrible gas and/or loose stools. 

It takes alot of dilligence to take care of yourself after this surgery.  You will forever have to take vitamins every day so you don't become deficient and develop other problems.  The same can be said for water and protein.  You can end up dehydrated much faster than you can ever imagine it happening now and end up having to get bags of fluids pumped in to get you caught up. 

Now, to be completely honest, I am still pre-op, but I have done my homework and believe this is the answer for me too.  I just have a healthy fear of the repercussions I could experience if I don't get my vitamins, protein, and water in on a daily basis.

I too would suggest that you go to dsfacts.com and get a bit more educated.  Another thing I did was to read alot of the old posts here so I could learn more as well as being able to get a sense of what the vets experience on a day-to-day basis.
happydsr
on 7/28/12 4:00 pm
On July 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM Pacific Time, Maybaby71 wrote:
 Hi all.  I'm new to the site and am very interested in getting the DS procedure.  I would appreciate any feedback from those who have had it done with their overall experience.  It sounds like it would be perfect for me since there are no food restrictions, just permanent portion control.  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thank you!
 the DS is a wonderful surgery that offers us many choices post op, yet there are still some restrictions.  During the weight loss period, (12-18 months usually) carbs must be severely curtailed.  The small stomach and the malabsorbtion of proteins from the "switch' means that all meals must focus on proteins first, then complex carbs if room is available.  Daily protein should exceed 100 grams.

As you progress past surgery and reach goal weight, your stomach will stretch and you will  eat more.  I eat more food now than most of my friends and family, so I wouldn't call my DS "permanent portion control".  While I don't  have food restrictions, I do make choices - to concentrate on proteins and fats and to minimize flours and sugars or to schedule when I will choose to eat these items so I can manage any repurcussions.

And the vitamin regime is not negotiable.  Lab work every six months to monitor my levels allow me to adjust my supplement schedule, increasing/descreasing quanities and timing to maintain optimum levels.  I take vites in 7 batches over the course of the day.

Read DS Facts.com, read past posts on this board or on pro boards to see how other veterans manage their DSs and ensure ou are committed to the lifetime of maintenance

good luck
Sandra C.
on 7/29/12 1:01 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi Maybaby,
You came to the right place for D.S. advice. Read and study all you can all over the internet about the D.S. Bariatric Surgeons who do the D.S. often have informative sites. My surgeon, Dr. Kemmeter and the Saint Mary's Hospital in Grand Rapids are good places to look. 

Every WLS option has pluses and negatives. The D.S. was my final and only choice for a few reasons. First of all, I wanted to be able to go out to eat with friends, not have them know I ever had surgery. Next I made sure the food choices were healthy for a lifetime of realistic eating, to insure I wouldnt be sorry years later about having this surgery. Parts of the surgery are perminent. I liked the idea of having an intact pilorus for normal digestion. the intestinal changes to insure malabsorbtion made sense to limit calorie absorbtion for maintaining my total weight loss. this surgery was the most successful with reaching goal weight, and keeping it off. As the sleeved stomach stretches over time, allowing larger meals, the malabsorbtion will insure I will never be as high a weight as I was pre surgery. There is no dumping as in other pouch type surrgeries. No running from the table with nausia ever. I have used the Atkins high protein diet for years. I was used to eating the high protein method, most like my usual meals, but without all the unhealthy foods no one should eat.  I pictured myself living with all the surgical options. The D.S. was the only one I would have chozen. D.S. or nothing !!!!

If you want an idea what the best food choices are for living with the D.S. try the Atkins high protein diet. The new Atkins diet books explain all about how high protein works with the body going into ketosis for weight loss. Without surgery, soon you would be back to your old habits gaining all you lost and then some. Read about Vili, they increase in the intestine each time you diet to insure your body doesnt starve. the bypass surgery makes sense, since I have had a lifetime of diets. My body was especially good at preventing starvation, storing calories. I would never succeed at normal dieting without WLS. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

MsBatt
on 7/30/12 7:01 am
I'm 8.5 years post-op, and I truly give thanks every day for my DS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 376 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 826 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views