Will I always be this hungry?

jennyrenny
on 7/30/12 5:17 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
I am currently doing the pre-op fast for my DS that is on August 11. I'm very hungry, which is to be expected. I can stand this for a couple of weeks because it is worth it to have a safer surgery. However, what I am struggling with is that the last time I felt this way was before I had my lapband removed (band put in Feb 2009 and taken out Feb 2012). I was never successful with the band. They promised that it makes you full quicker and produces a feeling of satiety...NOT. I was ALWAYS hungry with the band. I NEVER felt satisfied unless I filled myself up with a "slider" food that went right past the band. No, it wasn't head hunger...I know what that is. It was like the band didn't let much food past, leaving a chronically empty and hungry tummy. Like an itch that you just can't scratch.

Here is what I want to know...are you always hungry with the DS? I can handle giving up junk food, I can handle the vitamins, I don't mind eating lots of meat and protein. I CANNOT go through he rest of my life hungry all the time and unable to eat. I avoided the RNY because the stoma sounds too much like a band, and that empty stomach that just sits there producing all those hunger hormones makes me worried about chronic hunger. I am hoping that the sleeve part of the DS that involves the removal of all those ghrelin gremlins will help in this regard. Am I right, or should I expect something different?

Thanks!
PattyL
on 7/30/12 5:53 am
 I'm not hungry all the time.  And if I am hungry, I eat.

I pretty much do Atkins, low carb.  There's always something I can eat.
teachmid
on 7/30/12 6:39 am - OKC, OK
Like Patty said, if I'm hungry, I eat.....protein foods.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MsBatt
on 7/30/12 6:43 am
Pre-op, I was literally, always hungry. Starving. Simply could NOT get full.

Post-op, I have 'normal' hunger. Meaning, I get hungry every few hours, I eat a reasonable portion, and I get full and satisfied.  SO much nicer! (*grin*)
dtabor5
on 7/30/12 1:15 pm
There are some days when it seems I am eatting all day long... but it is WHAT i eat, protein, protein and yes more protein.. it isn't that I AHAVE to but I want to.. I really don't think about junk food and if i have a candy bar (which is once in a blue moon) then i eat it... but i crave meat and other proteins... there are other days when all i want is carrots, don't ask me what that is all about but hey it could be worse... The point is that is you are hungry you eat and that is it... I am 3 years out and most of the time i really don't want carbs at all, never really ate them pre-DS. The best part is when i go on vacation and i eat I loose weight, it is all good and you are going to be just fine..good luck.. 

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

Amy W.
on 7/30/12 2:08 pm - Buckeye, AZ
That happens to me a lot (like today). I just can't get enough food in!!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Valerie G.
on 7/31/12 12:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 For me it was the opposite.  I wasn't hungry for anything at all for at least 6 months.  Even today, I go through phases where I want nothing in particular, but know that I have to eat.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lori F.
on 7/31/12 12:09 pm - Chula Vista, CA
 As an always- hungry defeated bandster, I have to say eating the way these DSers describe sounds HEAVENLY- can it really be true? 
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Crazeru
on 8/1/12 8:03 am
It really is true.  I basically eat all day and evening.  I'm hungry and I eat protein and 60-120min later, I'm hungry and I eat.  Today I started out with a 20g protein bar, then ate 2 hotlinks dunked in sweet honey mustard, then ate a plate of nachos with 4oz of cheese and some mango salsa, forgot about the 2oz of raspberry honey almonds plus a few M&Ms.  This has been in 5hrs...  Still have salami & cheese, cherries, more cheese for nachos and 10 pieces of bacon, plus 5 oz of cheese.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Lori F.
on 8/1/12 8:11 am - Chula Vista, CA
 UNBELIEVEABLE!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!)