NEWBY

Jentownsend2006
on 8/9/12 9:50 am - Talking rock, GA
So, I just had surgery Aug 1st its been really hard so far...  The proteins that I bought before surgery, I can't really tolerate now what did you guys use?  I guess I'm having a huge case of the "what have I done?" I know it will be good and will take time to get to where I want to be, just been a little hard.  Anyway thanks for listening!
Valerie G.
on 8/9/12 11:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Oh I wish you'd asked about the protein drinks before you bought anyting.  I'd have warned you that they won't taste the same as a post op.  Go get some single serving packets and start all over again tasting things.  You may not find anything that you particularly like - just something that "sucks less" to get you through until you can eat enough protein with real food.  I got something called ProStat64 that had 15g per ounce, but tasted so horrible, it was worse than licking a monkey's ass.  I held my nose, slammed it down, rinsed out my mouth and coated it with peanut butter before letting go of my nose.  I did this for a few months before I could get down 100g of protein thanks to ricotta cheese, which is much more palateable.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jentownsend2006
on 8/9/12 1:39 pm - Talking rock, GA
thank you! I wish I would have asked to!  I think my major problem is that I can't eat anything still?  So another question is you think we need 100 g of protein? My Dr does it by height and said I only needed 65g? 
Valerie G.
on 8/10/12 4:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You're malabsorbing half of the protein you consume, and the average person needs around 50-60g per day, so you need to be getting twice that.  It's very difficult at first, but if you're mindful at selecting the most protein value with everything you eat, then it's totally possible.  Most work up to that 100g over 3 months (30g > then 60g > then 100g), but my doc insisted that I do it ASAP, and even scolded me on my 2 week check up that I'd not gotten there yet, so I got that horrible ProStat64.  It was horrible, but it got me there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nicolle
on 8/9/12 12:27 pm
I went for food--instead of shakes--whenever possible. Cheese, cottage cheese, lunchmeat, yogurt, scrambled eggs. I would say work up to a decent amount of protein--don't think you can get out of the starting gate at 100g or anything even close. You just had major surgery, have realistic expectations.

Although I think most of them taste like monkey butt, I DID do some shakes in the beginning. I liked the Jay Robb ones.

Baby steps every day. You'll get there.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

larra
on 8/9/12 4:21 pm - bay area, CA
What operation did you have? I have never heard of your surgeon as someone who does the DS, but maybe he's new to it.
    In any event, if you did have the DS, 65 gm of protein daily is woefully inadequate. Of course, at first, (like right now) you don't need to worry about this as your body has protein stores that will carry you through for awhile. The general rule of thumb is 30 gm by 30 days, 60 gm by 60 days, 90 gm by 90 days. As for as longterm goes, you will need at least 90 gm daily to maintain adequate protein levels. A lot of surgeons who are good at operating are poor at nutritional advice. Also, DS patients who use surgeons *****ally do gastric bypass primarily tend to get advice that is fine for someone with gastric bypass and not fine for someone with a DS.
    As far as protein drinks go, the only one I could stand was the Adkins shakes. The cheapest place I found them was Walmart. Only 15 gm of protein each, but low carb and taste good and I really couldn't tolerate anything else that I tried.

Larra
Jentownsend2006
on 8/19/12 6:39 am - Talking rock, GA

Thanks for your replys...  I actually went with a different surgeon but cannot fix the name I had Dr. Smith.  Also, thanks for the advice on the protein...  I guess I am mainly having a hard time with the protein because in the liquid puree stage I cant seem to find anything that is descent...   I'm working on it though, and get to start soft foods next week so maybe that'll help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 398 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 847 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 275 views