Iron in Gummy Form?

route66hello
on 8/20/12 4:45 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi all,

I went to CVS Pharmacy today and found a multivitamin, D3 and Calcium all in gummy form. Has anyone found gummy iron?

Thanks so much! Terri

PS. How do I change my weight on the ticker? Thanks again....

PatXYZ
on 8/20/12 6:28 pm
You've just wasted your money... these supplements are crap and completely inappropriate for a DSer. They do not have enough of the vitamins we need, nor are they in the right forms, nor are there sufficient minerals in a gummy formula. I would return them all if you can and then buy appropriate supplements. You need to be serious about your supplements or you will become seriously sick and deficient very quickly.

SOME of the things you'll need:

DRY Vitamin D3 - Biotech makes the best stuff for a DSer
DRY Vitamin A - Biotech makes the best stuff for a DSer
Calcium Citrate - I especially like the Calcium Plus from Celebrate because it has added magnesium, vitamin D, zinc and other minerals.
Multivitamin with MINERALS, look for a 50+ formula to ensure it is complete (look for Selenium on the label)

Look at vitalady.com for the cheapest prices for Vitamin D3 and A and most other things. Look at her recommended vitamin list for DSers while you're there. You probably don't realize what proper supplementation looks like for a DSer because almost none of the surgeons make proper recommendations for their post-ops. DO NOT rely on them to tell you what you need post-op.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
JazzyOne9254
on 8/21/12 8:38 am, edited 8/21/12 8:38 am
Pat-

My surgeon told me that the multivite needs to be like Centrum Complete, not Centrum Silver.  I got the Silver at first, since I was over 50, and dang near got my butt chewed off!  That's what I like about my doctor, if you need a butt chew, she's not shy about giving it to you, especially if you're one of her DS patients. 

I guess she figures if she did your DS, you've got no excuses, because she selects her DS patients very, very carefully, and makes sure they are very well informed.  You can't just breeze in off the street and say you want the DS.  If you don't clear the hurdles with her, she'll do another surgery, but not the DS!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

PatXYZ
on 8/21/12 6:41 pm
Did she give you any good reason for this? 50+ formulas contain more trace minerals, like Selenium. If you buy the generic brand multivitamin, the regular adult formula doesn't have any Selenium in it at all, whereas the 50+ does. In Canada, it is regularly recommended to bariatric patients to buy the 50+ formulas by their surgeons/nutritionists/nurse practitioners for exactly this reason.

I prefer the bariatric formulas though that actually contain the water soluble forms of the ADEK vitamins that we can properly absorb and usually recommend the BA High ADEK multivit.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/12 7:22 pm
 I too would like to know what your doc didn't like about the silver formula. When I compared, I saw more selenium in the silver, but no iron, which is fine because I take that separately anyway. Now I'm wondering if I'd missed something.
Sandra C.
on 8/20/12 7:11 pm, edited 8/20/12 12:19 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Hi Terri,
Make sure your calcium is "Calcium Citrate" its the most absorbable for D.Sers. I couldnt find any at the drugstore, only on line at Diet Direct, Bariatric choice, and the GHP store. There are more on line suppliers too.

My surgeons office recommended the following, I have used them all year with good results.

Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Chewy Bites-- carmel, chocolate, lemon, rapsberry--(6 a day for D.S.ers)

Bariatric Advantage Iron chewy Bite w/C--- chocolate rapsberry truffle-- ( 1 a day)" no after taste"

Calcet Citrate Creamy bites-- lemon or chocolate--( 4 a day for D.S. ers)

Gummy vitamins-- be sure to take the equavalent of the bariatric vitamins--Ii take 3 Celebrate vitamin capsules a day. they have quite a few important ingredients the gummy vitamins dont have. When I used the gummy vitamins I added more pills to make up what was lacking. they were tiny, easy to swallow. Look up the ingredient list for the bariatric vitamins on the product list on the Bariatric Choice vitamin section on line. Adjust the number of gummy vitamins you take a day to add up to 3 Celebrate vitamin capsules. I spread out taking them 3 times a day, calcium too ,spread out, and iron last before bed, alone, 2 hrs from the calcium.

All these supplements are a good place to start early out from surgery. You may need more the further out you are. I am absorbing all these very well, and dont need any more than these so far. Your labs will determine the individual amounts you need. Everyone has different needs.

I had a friend who took calcium other than "Citrate", he had kidney stones he attributed to taking the less expensive calcium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

route66hello
on 8/20/12 7:45 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Thanks very much for the details on the gummies you take. I just went and ordered them all. At this point swallowing all the vitalady pills is just not possible so the gummies are for me a place to start.
Thanks again! Terri

stormy918
on 8/21/12 2:50 am
On August 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM Pacific Time, route66hello wrote:
Thanks very much for the details on the gummies you take. I just went and ordered them all. At this point swallowing all the vitalady pills is just not possible so the gummies are for me a place to start.
Thanks again! Terri
"At this point swallowing all the vitalady pills is just not possible"

Can you tell the WHY to this statement? Can you not pills? Is it the expense?...what?

DSers need "dry" vits...plus there is no way for you to get the amount you need from OTC. You would be taking OTCs by the bottle-full.

Bare minimum should be:

DRY D3....50000IU a day
DRY A.......25000IU a day
calcium CITRATE...2400mg a day
K1 and 2
B12

These vits are NOT optional...They are your life. Research malnutrition. Do you really want to end up like that?

Darlene    DS ..9-19-06
OFFICIAL ANGEL
Kryst.......6-27-07
KellyKirk........8-6-07  now our DS FOREVER ANGEL....I will always remember
BettyBoop.....2-26-08
Jewel506...5-26-10
Ragamuffin...9-29-10
185# gone forever

route66hello
on 8/21/12 3:26 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
Hi,

I had major complications after my surgery in March. I was on a feeding tube with nothing by mouth until only 3 weeks ago. The major complication was a hole in my stomach. Swallowing anything is difficult and I am just starting out with real food. I saw the gummies as a place to start while swallowing becomes easier. I am taking the iron and Biotin in pill form and the rest right now in gummy form.

I have the DS starter pack from Vitalady and will slowly move over to them.

Hope this helps explain. Terri
Valerie G.
on 8/21/12 5:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 You may want to try liquid formulations, then.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 131 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views