Iron in Gummy Form?

Huneypie
on 8/21/12 9:45 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Post your results so the vets can give you advice - I'm a novice re labs, so I won't be jumping in ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

JazzyOne9254
on 8/21/12 8:08 am, edited 8/21/12 8:09 am

Do not...repeat *DO NOT* play games with your nutrition.  If you have kids or grandkids, give them the gummies!  Those were made for children, anyway.

DSer's need heavy duty nutritional supplements from the word go, and for LIFE!  PRESS your doctor for that upper GI...it's not pleasant..I had one early out, because I couldn't eat for sh--, but after they did that, and stretched things out a bit, I was eating like a champ!

I had no major issues until this last six month set of labs, and I know I was screwing up because of a major life event...my Mom's passing.  I have had ongoing calcium issues, but never as many nutrient issues as I have now.

I'm getting back on track, but not without a month's worth of infusions, multivite, calcium and iron...and, because my veins are so small (always have been, has nothing to do with DS) I'll be having a port installed Thursday, so I can get the rest of my infusions.  My veins keep blowing, and that may have to do with PCM (protein calorie malnutrition).

I may have just narrowly avoided a major hospitalization due to malnutrition...my doctor hasn't said it, but I figure any time you get referred to a hematologist for IV treatment, and among your lab diagnoses is the "mal" word, along with several other issues, that's serious.

All DSers on this board...learn from this!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

JazzyOne9254
on 8/21/12 8:24 am, edited 8/21/12 8:30 am
Vtialady does not have gummies, and WILL NOT.  She has chewable vitamins, which are similar to chewable children's vitamins, but with levels appropriate for DS patients 

GUMMIES ARE NOT FOR DS PATIENTS!! I am shocked that your doctor or program would even recommend gummies!  My program warned against them from the outset, during pre-op clasases!

Have you not read in the posts that gummies are not appropriate for DSers?

Do you want to DIE...which you could very well do if you don't find a credible bariatric nutritionist and/or doctor.  Apparently, your surgeon or hospital program just doesn't ge the DS. Since it is not as prevalent as the RNY, many programs don't have a clue about DS nutrition. 

If you want to live with the DS, you have got to get serious about your supplements...TODAY!

I'm sorry about you swallowing issues, but if they're that bad, you must not be getting adequate hydration, either.  Are you still on IV fluids?

route66hello
on 8/21/12 3:34 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I was using the word gummy and really meant chewable from the vitalady site. I will try those. I will discontinue the gummies. I am getting my 6 month labs tomorrow and will obviously have an appointment to review with Dr. Rabkin's office. Trust me I do care. Gummies seemed like such an easy option and I appreciate everyone letting me know they are not appropriate.

Thanks again, Terri

PS. I am not on IV Fluids at this point.
JazzyOne9254
on 8/21/12 3:58 pm
Route 66-

Didn't mean to sound so harsh, but my own nutritional issues have got me really, really scared, and afraid for anyone else who might be headed down that path.

Jesse Jackson, Jr.  is at Mayo Clinic today because of nutritional issues associated with his DS.  Bipolar has been reported, but improper nutrition can mimic that disorder.  Malnutrition can lead to depression, because if your body's not getting the proper nutrients, your brain sure isn't! As soon as "gastrointestinal issues" were reported as part of his problem, I was 99.9% sure he was having DS nutritional issues.

I covered the man when he was just entering public life, during my days as a reporter in Chicago (pre-DS), and his obesity crept up on him once he became a congressman.  His sister Santita also has the DS, and to my knowledge has remained healthy.  I have not seen or talked to either of them in years, but I think this is the second time Jesse Jr has gotten into nutritional trouble. 

route66hello
on 8/21/12 4:57 pm - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
No worries. You are just worried. On my side I have had so many complications I am just in the last two weeks getting to or thinking about the vitamins. There is just a lot to learn and the sheer number of pills from vitalady was overwhelming. Chewables thought might help me some during this phase.

Very interesting about Jesse Jackson Jr. I had no idea he had the DS.

Thanks again, Terri
smileyjamie72
on 8/24/12 11:48 am - Palmer, AK

Terri,

This would help you feel less overwhelmed, fill this guy up once a month, and the day is TOTALLY portable.  SAVES me SO MUCH TIME every day!!!!
31 Day Pill Organizer
You are doing GREAT!!!!  Keep posting!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Huneypie
on 8/21/12 6:17 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
OK, I just saw about your complication so now understand about your swallowing issues.  Vitalady chewables plus a pill crusher are probably a good thing to start with though.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/21/12 7:30 pm
 Certain things do not lend themselves to the gummy form, because they taste bad. Some B vitamins taste like butt, and iron would be pretty nasty too. 

If you must, try a liquid one. You can chug it down and not let a nasty taste linger in your mouth. The only way a vitamin can taste good as a gummy would be to leave out too many necessary things.
Beam me up Scottie
on 8/23/12 11:42 pm
My advice (if you don't want to struggle with bad vit levels) is to follow Vitalady's regime. It's been tested by a lot of us and it works.

Good luck.

Scott
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 726 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1029 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 345 views