Revision approved: Fear sets in

EmmaJane
on 10/1/12 11:25 am - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12
I worked hard and finally received insurance approval for a revision from lap band to DS.  My surgery date is set for 11/6. 

Now I have this paralyzing fear of going through with the DS. 

This weekend I sat my family down and told them my plan and it went very badly.  I won't repeat all of the crazy things that came out of their mouth.  Needless to say they painted a very dramatic picture of me dying painfully.

I just need to hear from a vet that I am making a sound choice and will be "okay".

I expect pain, hard work, exercise, and compliance to be a part of my journey.  I had complications with my band, had it unfilled and worked for over 2 years with a nutritionist and personal trainer.  I now realize I need tool that is a better fit for me.

Banded in Mexico 2007: 420lbs
CW: 341
DS scheduled: 11/6

gak
on 10/1/12 11:30 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Who is doing the revision ? 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

EmmaJane
on 10/1/12 11:36 am - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12
Dr. Srikanth, St. Francis - Center for Weightloss Surgery in Federal Way, WA.

www.centerforweightlosssurgery.com/meet-Dr-Srikanth.htm
gak
on 10/1/12 11:39 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Yup, you will  be okay .. he has a good reputation. Not sure how many revisions he has done. It helps for you to put his name under your name so people know you are using a vetted DS Doc.

The DS rocks ! 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Sandra C.
on 10/1/12 12:06 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Dont worry about the D.S. It worked for me , and is still working keeping me at goal for 5 months so far. My husband was in favor of the surgery, to improve my health. My kids were worried at first but trusted my judgement about choosing the D.S. when I filled them in as I learned facts about the D.S.
I had very little pain after the surgery because it was done laparoscopically. The healing went faster too. The lbs seemed to melt away miraculously in a few months I was at my goal. I was never hungry because I could eat lots of protein, and shakes. I think its the best way to acomplish healthy living, and stay in shape. I would do it all the same if I had to do it over. Same surgeon, same hospital, same choice for the D.S. Your family will come around when they see you post surgery,  in great shape, healthy  and happy.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

EmmaJane
on 10/5/12 7:55 am - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12
Thanks Sandra! Have you had any difficulty with the maintenance stage?

Duodenal Switch 11/6/12 by Dr. Srikanth

TaliTali
on 10/1/12 1:28 pm - Sammamish, WA
EmmaJane, you'll do fine! You have a good Dr. and a very good local support group if I do say so myself. You *must* come to our next meeting which is Sat. the 13th in Tukwila. Or if you've been going while I've been away .. I can't wait to meet you!

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

EmmaJane
on 10/5/12 7:37 am - Bonney Lake, WA
DS on 11/06/12
Thanks for the invite, I look forward to meeting everyone on the 13th.  I know this sounds weak, but I think I "need" to meet people in the flesh who have conquered their weight issues with this tool.  Right now, you are all unicorns in my world.  :)

Duodenal Switch 11/6/12 by Dr. Srikanth

TaliTali
on 10/5/12 9:46 am - Sammamish, WA
It makes perfect sense. I spent the first 6 months post-op attending 4 support group meetings a month. I needed to be around like-minded people.

I can't wait to meet you!

HW ~ SW ~ CW
310 - 291 - 150

puppysweets1
on 10/1/12 3:43 pm - CA
On October 1, 2012 at 6:25 PM Pacific Time, EmmaJane wrote:
I worked hard and finally received insurance approval for a revision from lap band to DS.  My surgery date is set for 11/6. 

Now I have this paralyzing fear of going through with the DS. 

This weekend I sat my family down and told them my plan and it went very badly.  I won't repeat all of the crazy things that came out of their mouth.  Needless to say they painted a very dramatic picture of me dying painfully.

I just need to hear from a vet that I am making a sound choice and will be "okay".

I expect pain, hard work, exercise, and compliance to be a part of my journey.  I had complications with my band, had it unfilled and worked for over 2 years with a nutritionist and personal trainer.  I now realize I need tool that is a better fit for me.

Banded in Mexico 2007: 420lbs
CW: 341
DS scheduled: 11/6

Awww, honey...

"Needless to say they painted a very dramatic picture of me dying painfully.
"

How many people haveyour family members seen die from obesity?  Cuz THAT is not only a painful death but it is often a very slow and years long agonizing process filled with torture of becoming inmobile and getting diabetes and going blind and getting your feet amputated and having heart attacks and strokes.  

Do what you know is right... eventually you'll convert them all to be huge DS supporters.  Don't push at them, just do what you need to do and let them watch how wonderfully it will all works out.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views