Could i be doing something wrong...

csky20
on 11/14/12 5:40 pm, edited 11/14/12 6:26 pm - Bedford, TX

Well i had my surgery 10/25/12.  im really starting to get discouraged about this surgery cause i have not lost much weight so far...only 6 lbs since my surgery.  i could really use some encouragement right about now or could get some advice on what i could be doing wrong.  i do walk quite a bit, and i have been taking workout classes to keep my whole body moving. i try to drink as much water as i can which is about 3-4 bottles a day,   im kind of down about this cause i had the lap band, and now this surgery, and i am not really seeing results.  im feeling just a little doubtful right now.  what if this does'nt work...

Jaiart
on 11/14/12 7:01 pm - MI
Stick to the nutrition plan, plenty of protein, low carbs, lots of water and movement. Don't sweat it. The weight will start coming off more. From what I've gathered here stalls and plateau's are to be expected.

2renee
on 11/14/12 8:36 pm - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

That would be a bit discouraging.  Uhm, how many oz are we talking about for your 3 to 4 bottles of water?  Are you tracking your food on myfitnesspal or fitday?  If so, what are your carbs, protein and fat numbers?  Did you exercise pre-surgery?  Could you be building muscle which are heavier than fat?

Hang in there it will come off.

Renee

southernlady5464
on 11/14/12 10:15 pm

First, your body JUST had major surgery and was pumped FULL of fluids. Weight GAINS are very common the first few weeks. And welcome to the infamous 3rd week stall.

Two, stay OFF the scale.....either throw it away or lock it away. Unless you are seeing a doctor for an appointment, do NOT get on it for the first 2-3 months.

Three, measure yourself instead with a tape measure.

Four, make sure you are drinking a MINIMUM of 64 oz of fluid each and every day. 3-4 bottles...depends on the size of the bottle. If a 20 oz, drink four of them. 16 oz, you need more like 5.

You didn't get fat overnight...you won't lose it overnight either. But stop setting yourself up. Watching the scale is the worst way to set yourself up for disappointment in the beginning.

You'll get there...

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

csky20
on 11/15/12 1:53 am - Bedford, TX

thankyou so much liz...i will try to stay away from the scale.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/15/12 9:57 pm

I gained 20 lbs. of fluids while in the hospital for2 days.  It took me 1 week to lose that.   Then I lost the 2nd week.  I did not lose anything the third week.  Then it started picking up.  I agree with the above poster.  Stay off the scale.  Measure and take pictures frequently.

Winnie

JazzyOne9254
on 11/15/12 10:49 pm

Are you a revision from another surgery or a first-time DSer?

I've read that revisions don't see a lot of the dramatic weight loss that virgin DSer's do. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

csky20
on 11/16/12 1:34 am - Bedford, TX

im a revision from the lapband....

JazzyOne9254
on 11/17/12 12:24 am, edited 11/17/12 12:25 am

My DS friends refer to it at the "crap band", and I actually predict that it will be off the market soon. 

You have taken a huge step toward permanent weight loss, and I congratulate you. 

Don't be discouraged it will happen, and what you lose, unless you do incredibly bad eating, will be gone forever! TheDSis a very difficult surgery to "eat around", because you can eat anything you want.  the only things you absorb 100 percent of are simple sugars and simple carbs, and those will give you gas from hell! Believe me, the result will be deterrent enough, should you experience it!

That said, you no doubt know that the DS is the most malabsorptive bariatric surgery, and you absolutely MUST maintain your vitamin and protein regimens - that is non-negotiable.  If you are the type that follows your doctor's instructions to the letter for anything else, you will do well with this surgery.  We DSer's have to be anal to a fault when it comes to nutrition and supplementation, but the work is well worth it.

Though the NUTS (nutritionists/dietitians) will tell you that you will eventually get all of your protein from food, never, ever completely let go of your protein shakes. Consider them part of your vitamin supplementation regimen. I am battling several deficincies and PCM (protein calorie malnutrition) because I did not take care of myself well for the first six months of this year, due to the decline and passing of my mother.  No matter what is going on in your life, you have to take care of yourself FIRST.  I learned early out the consequences of PCM from a DS friend who had her surgery through the same program as mine.  Make sure you get with a program that is not just a "cut and run" operation.  Make sure they are multi-dsiciplinary in their approach to support post-op. 

One habit you will need to break...daily weigh-ins.  Weekly is enough.  Even every couple of weeks.  Gauge your success by how your clothes begin to get a little sloppy...then a LOT sloppy.  I have re-wardrobed five times since my surgery in 2009.

Congratulations again on your decision.  Prepare to be amazed!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Sunshine16
on 11/16/12 4:11 am

I gained weight, before and after.....  I could not even recognize myself.

Don't be discourage, trust, it will happen.  You will lose your weight....do not weigh yourself on a daily basis....I can see, weekly, but it will happen.   

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 95 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 648 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views