VSG to DS

Spencerella
on 11/30/12 10:35 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Hi everyone. I've been hanging out over on the VSG Forum, but wanted to get some information from of you who converted from VSG to DS and your reasons for doing so.  I'm looking for information for my daughter, who is exploring wls.  She has a lot. More weight to lose than I do, so want to explore all the options. I think her BMI is 55+. Thanks all.  

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Valerie G.
on 11/30/12 2:39 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

For certain health reasons, some docs may propose doing the vsg first, but keep in mind that it creates twice the risks, twice the recovery, etc.  For a BMI that high, I'd recommend a virgin DS from the start.  There's a certain synergy that gets the best results than those that do it in two parts.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 12/1/12 4:54 am - bay area, CA

With a bmi that high, the DS is far and away her best choice. The longterm results of the VSG are not known, but even many surgeons who promote it will acknowledge that it works best for people with lower bmi's. Not that she couldn't find someone to do it, I'm sure she could, but how well it would work is questionable.

Now only are there the issues of losing the opportunity for the synergy of the restriction and the malabsorption working together, she would also need to undergo two operations, AND face the possibility of insurance not paying for the second operation, depending on both her policy and what her bmi might be when she wanted the second operation.

Larra

Spencerella
on 12/1/12 5:17 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm in Canada and although DS is not yet offered locally, I'm thinking she might consider VSG as a precursor to future DS if required. My daughter is actually leaning to RNY because she can do it in one step, but even though she will obviously have the final say, I want her to know about DS and consider VSG as a part of that procedure. Certainly, the current literature is clear about the need for malabsorption for larger amounts of weight loss, so sincerely doubt that VSG alone will get her there. This is a tough one!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

larra
on 12/1/12 5:48 am - bay area, CA

The final choice of course is hers, but hopefully it will be an informed choice. And while it's great that she has you in her corner and asking questions for her, it would be best for her to be researching for herself as well.

Regarding RNY, I hope she understands that the malabsorption of RNY is mostly for vitamins and minerals. There is very little caloric malabsorption, and what little there is wears off after just a couple years, if that...which is perhaps one reason why the failure rate is so high - 30% failure rate all comers, higher with bmi over 50. I hope she takes that into consideration.

With VSG, at least if she does need/want revision to the DS it isn't too technically difficult. Revising from RNY to DS is high risk and very complex surgery that only a handful of surgeons perform.

Larra

southernlady5464
on 12/1/12 7:37 am

I hope she isn't diabetic...there is new evidence that diabetes returns after the RNY. See this thread on the main board.

But the DS is simply the best thing I ever did.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views