DS surgeon in Los Angeles area?

Srg2
on 12/16/12 5:27 pm - CA

The more I read, the more I am interested in the DS for my revision from Lap-Band instead of RNY.  Dr. Ara Keshishian's name keeps popping up but I dont think he accepts Aetna HMO.  I will call tomorrow to make sure.  Are there any other good DS surgeons in the LA area I could look into?

MajorMom
on 12/16/12 5:44 pm - VA

I hope he does take the Aetna--he's your man. You've checked the www.dsfacts site for other DS surgeons?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Srg2
on 12/16/12 5:47 pm - CA

No I have not checked that site...thanks!

clutterbunny
on 12/17/12 12:16 am - CA

Dr. K is awesome.  He's the one you want...

larra
on 12/17/12 2:59 am - bay area, CA

Definitely check with Dr. K's office - he even accepts Medicare, so there's a good chance he accepts your insurance.

The only DS surgeon in the Los Angeles area is Dr. Peter Crookes at USC. The next closest is Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco.

Larra

Happy Gurl
on 12/17/12 3:27 am
VSG on 10/26/12

He was my doc - can't say enough good things about him:)  I actually learned more from him during the consult than I did after having a lapband for three years.  I had the VSG, not the DS, but my recovery, healing and progress have been amazing - all due to his skill and care:)

HW: 390, HbandW: 340, LbandW:237,

HsleeveW: on 10/27/12:270, CW: 167:) GW: 175 :))))

M1:22, M2:16, M3:10, M4:9, M5:8, M6: 9, M7: 8, M8: 6, M9: 3, M10: 4

Srg2
on 12/17/12 7:17 am - CA

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Dr Keshishian's office called me today.  Christine said she didn't think he was on Aetna's HMO network, but she is calling them to make sure.   The MD at USC isn't on my network either. 

larra
on 12/17/12 8:19 am - bay area, CA

You need to review your policy to determine whether or not you have coverage for the DS. If you do, and there is no in-network physician who does the DS, they can be forced to pay an out-of-network physician for your care. After all, it isn't your fault if there is no in-network physician who provides what is a standard of care procedure. You also need to know your policy in regards to revision surgery.

There is more to the story, but bottom line, you are entitled to see the specifics of your policy and it is in your best interest to do so. You can't count of some random employee who answers the phone to get it right. Know your policy, and know your appeals rights as well.

Larra

Srg2
on 12/17/12 9:20 am - CA

My policy does cover DS and I know my policy very well.  I may have to look into this out of network stuff...

larra
on 12/17/12 11:39 am - bay area, CA

Keep in mind also that you may get denials from your insurer as they try to propel you towards the cheapest possible alternative, meaning either gastric bypass or sleeve with an in-network surgeon, rather than pay more for an out of network surgeon even though the policy says they cover the DS. You may have a fight on your hands, but the effort will be worth it.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 691 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1008 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views