How does it compare?

Angie68
on 1/13/13 8:40 am - Economy, IN

Hi. I am going to a DS consultation this Wed so I know I will learn more there. I had the Lap band put in, in 2008. I had to have it removed when I was a few months shy of my 3 year mark thru no fault of mine. I have since gained a lot of my weight back. I am having some health issue & my Dr really wants me to get the weight off & has sent a referral to my bariatric surgeon. I know all the facts  about DS as far as what they will do to my body. But I am wondering how does it compare to the lap band? So I have a few question for all of you....

Do I have to stop drinking for a certain amount of time before I eat?

Do I have to wait so long after I eat to drink?

Can I drink with meals?

Do I have to take pee size bites?

Do I have to chew, chew, chew?

Can I take large pills?

Do I have a pouch that I can stretch?

What are the general rules with a DS?

None of the above are a problem if I have to do it again. Just curious. The only thing I really hated with the band was not drinking with my meals. I really like to drink. However, it is worth it for the weight loss.

MajorMom
on 1/13/13 8:50 am - VA

Do I have to stop drinking for a certain amount of time before I eat?  Nope

Do I have to wait so long after I eat to drink? Nope

Can I drink with meals? Yep

Do I have to take pee size bites? Nope

Do I have to chew, chew, chew?  Nope

Can I take large pills?  Yep, most can. Capsules are easier though.

Do I have a pouch that I can stretch? You have a sleeve that can stretch and it's normal to stretch some. You can control it a bit by not over eating.

Protein first, followed by green veggies, lower carb fruit, and whole grains if you have any room after the protein.
Low carb is better for long term success for most people.
No timed released meds.
NSAIDS medications are ok within reason.
Vitamins are not negotiable, they are required for life.
Labs are also nonnegotiable. Every year after your first year post-op.
Fat is your friend. We malabsorb about 80%, so you need not avoid fat and oils.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

clpeltz
on 1/13/13 8:51 am

Nope.  In the beginning, there may not be much room to drink when you are eating your protein, but you can still drink with meals.  I do all the time.

Can I drink with meals?

Yes

You will need to take small bites and chew well.  Your stomach will be made smaller, so there will not be a lot of room in there.  You need to chew up that protein really well.

Yes

Can I take large pills?

Eventually.  At the beginning, you may not be able to because of the swelling from the surgery.  As your stomach heals and the swelling decreases, you'll be able to take regular vitamins like anyone else.  Speaking of vites....take the advice of the vets here and Vitalady.  DO NOT listen to your Dr or the Nut.  They typically do not know what they are talking about unfortunately.  They are cutters, not nutritionists.  And the nutritionists study to help normal people, not people with vastly different anatomy.  And they often times do not want to listen and be told that they are wrong.

With the VSG and the DS, you do not have a pouch...you have a fully functional stomach, just smaller.  The stretchy part of the stomach is removed.  The remaining stomach can stretch a little, but not too much.

Visit dsfacts.com to get a lot of great information.  Basically your diet will consist of high protein, high fat and low carbs.  You will have to take in about 150g protein per day.  Vites are non-negotiable and a life long commitment.  Visit vitalady.com and check out her DS starter pack for a look at what you will need to take.  It can be pricey so you need to be prepared for that.  Labs are also non-negotiable.  Every 3 months for the first year and then every 6 months for a few years after that and then to yearly if everything is stable. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

shannn
on 1/13/13 9:26 am - Knoxville , TN
On January 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM Pacific Time, Angie68 wrote:

Hi. I am going to a DS consultation this Wed so I know I will learn more there. I had the Lap band put in, in 2008. I had to have it removed when I was a few months shy of my 3 year mark thru no fault of mine. I have since gained a lot of my weight back. I am having some health issue & my Dr really wants me to get the weight off & has sent a referral to my bariatric surgeon. I know all the facts  about DS as far as what they will do to my body. But I am wondering how does it compare to the lap band? So I have a few question for all of you....

Can I drink with meals?

Can I take large pills?

None of the above are a problem if I have to do it again. Just curious. The only thing I really hated with the band was not drinking with my meals. I really like to drink. However, it is worth it for the weight loss.

Do I have to stop drinking for a certain amount of time before I eat? Nope

Do I have to wait so long after I eat to drink? No

Can I drink with meals? People will tell you not, but for some reason I can NOT eat & drink at the same time. I puke every single time. I keep hoping that will change.

Do I have to take pee size bites? Nope

Do I have to chew, chew, chew? Nope

Can I take large pills? Yep

Do I have a pouch that I can stretch? Nope

What are the general rules with a DS? Protein first always, low to no carbs and sugars (especially during the losing time), vitamins are non-negotiable

Good luck!!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

MsBatt
on 1/13/13 2:12 pm

For the first few weeks, you may have to do all sorts of bizaare things. After you're fully healed, it's different. Mechanically, you should be able to eat exactly like you've always done. I eat regularsized bites, chew them as much as I think is necessary, and wash them down with as much liquid as I need to.  I toss back calcium citrate pills two at a time. You won't have a pouch at all-you'll have a fullyfunctional stomach that will stretch SOME over time, but which will never be anywhere near the size of your preop stomach.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views