Hair & vitamins?

Angie68
on 1/14/13 12:35 am - Economy, IN

Thought of 2 more questions. How many vitamins do you average a day? I read on another message that you take 50 to 70 vits a day for the rest of your life. This person was bashing gastric bypass & pro Lap band so Im not so sure she wasnt being sarcastic. Im a former bander & you dont even want to get me started on it. I know we have to take our share of vits for life, but is it that many?

Also, did you all lose a ton of hair? I lost quite a bit with the band & it still hasnt come back to its full thickness. I have started taking a super strength biotin daily hoping that will give my hair strength. I must say I am very nervous about the possibility of having a bald spot on the top of my head.

Herman
on 1/14/13 6:56 am

I take

Calcium Citrate 

Magnesium Citrate

Vitamin A

Vitamin D3

Vitamin E

Vitamin K1 and K2

Vitamin B's

Multi

Biotin

Boron

Zinc

Copper

and a few I can't think of right now. Most are pretty small capsuals so they go down all at once. I take certain ones 4 times a day. All together about 30 a day.

No big deal.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
clpeltz
on 1/14/13 7:07 am

This is my current regimen:

Twice a day    Vitality 6    Melaleuca
2 a day    Tender Vitamin A 25000 IU    Vitalady
1 a day    Kirkland Docusate Sodium 100 mg    Costco
2 a day    Tender Vitamin D3 50K IU    Vitalady
2 a day    Dry Vitamin E 400 IU    Puritans Pride
3x a week    Vitamin K-1 10,000 mcg    Vitacost
1 a day    Chelated Zinc 50 mg    Puritans Pride
2 a day    Calcium Citrate with Vit D3    Puritans Pride
1 a day    Docusate Sodium    Costco
3 a day    Prozac 20 mg    Rx
1 a day    Nature Bounty B 12 2500mg    Costco
1 a day    Source of Life Vitamin K2    Amazon
1 a day    Ultra Biotin 7500 mcg    Puritans Pride
1 a day    Zinc 50 mg    Puritans Pride
1 a day    Wellbutrin 100mg    Rx
1 a day    Potassium 10 MEQ    Rx
2 a day    Coldwater Omega 3    Melaleuca

Schdule:

Wake Up    Vitality 6    

AM    2 Mela Coldwater Omega 3    
    1 A-25    
    1 D3-50    
    1 ****X a week)    
    1 E    
    Zinc    
    Wellbutrin    

Afternoon    Potassium    
    1 A-25    
    2 Calcium Citrate    
    B 12    
    1 E    
    1 Biotin    

Evening    Vitality 6    

Bedtime    1 A-25    
    1 K-2    
    1 Docusate Sodium    
    Prozac  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

biastar83
on 1/14/13 1:45 pm, edited 1/14/13 2:07 pm - WI

I lost half of my hair an then it started growing back like helmet hair an I had to cut it short. My hair changed thickness an is way straiter then it was before it feel out an grew back. Just part of the journey : )

I lost 200lb's an am 3 years out. I stopped taking all the vitamins after 1 year an only take iron. I get my vitamin panels done all the time an they are always perfect. I think or know it is because I eat lots of slow cooked meat, lots of raw fresh veggies an cheese's for snacks. My best weapon for protein is my slow cooker. My main food is slow cooked tacos with tons of veggies on them an I have a problem with white simple carbs so the shell is small an easy to handle. Plus, Im out side every day all day in the summer so don't have any problem with vitamin D. I think if you eat well, keep out side in the sun, an figure out your body you don't need any supplements @ least that is how it has been for me. But make shore you get your vitamin panels done to check your on the right plan for you. 

We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty.      

Valerie G.
on 1/14/13 10:15 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I take about 14 pills per day.  You should expect some hair loss from the telogen effluvium, however it should return because this condition is simply the restart of the hair growth cycle.  Your hair never returning would lead me to suspect malnutrition.   Have you had any labs done yet?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Angie68
on 1/14/13 11:47 pm - Economy, IN

Yes, I recently had labs. I was on the low end of normal on iron & magnesium. However, I was very low on Vit D. I am now on all those vits.

julanie
on 1/15/13 1:55 am - Arlington, TX
DS on 09/17/12

Just saw my dr for a check up last week, I've been losing hair.  Lost 7lbs and joked that at least 3lbs of it was hair falling out of my head.  My protein is good, it's just telogen effluvium like Valerie says . . . I've ben taking biotin hoping that it will help it come in healthy once it starts to come back in.  My dr also recommended that I use minoxidyl as well because my hair was so baby fine before, it could use the help anyway.  Not sure if I will or not, I also am dreading having a bald spot, and it's starting to show, my super honest little girl told me so just a few days ago. 

Julanie

Garden Fairy in training, according to my daughter
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 796 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views