Has Anyone Experienced Weight Gain During the Early Honeymoon Period?

allegedlylisa
on 1/21/13 6:54 am

So I just went to get my lab work done, and found out I am 5 pounds from my last visit two weeks ago.  I am devastated!  5 pounds is a lot, and I don't think it can be attributed to that "water weight" we like to blame weight gains on.

I have not been doing anything differently.  I'm much closer to getting my 64 oz of water in than I was before, and I'm probably getting around 80 grams of protein on most days.  Maybe it's too much salt, maybe it's too much fat - I just don't know what to do to fix it.

Should I try upping the protein and adding even more water?  Should I avoid certain things?  I've been drinking a lot more crystal light type beverages than before - maybe it's the fake sugar in that stuff.  I'm hoping it's temporary, but I'm beside myself.  I'm being truly honest when I say that I'm not eating anything I shouldn't - no carbs (pasta, rice, bread, crackers, sugar).  I'm not slamming back burgers or fries or cakes or pies (hehehehe, I rhymed)  I guess I just need to hear that someone else has been through this before I go into a complete panic and have to be talked off the metaphoric ledge

Lisa

Valerie G.
on 1/21/13 7:11 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Not sure how far post op you are, but yeah, weight will fluctuate up and down.  The best thing I can advise is to only weigh yourself once a week on the same day, at the same time, to get a true idea of how you're doing.  Hormones, salt, poo, and countless other things can cause these variances.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

southernlady5464
on 1/21/13 7:15 am

One, yes, you can gain and lose as much as 8 lbs in one week due to that time of the month. So if you haven't gone thru menopause yet, that is a real consideration.

Up your protein...you are far enough out from your surgery to be at a minimum of 100 grams of protein...maybe even more (some people need more, extremely few need less).

And make sure you get all your fluids, every day.

Now, there were months I gained but most were a loss...but one thing that kept me going was the fact that even on the months (and there were 2 before I reached normal BMI at 8 months) was my measurments. I lost inches even gaining a few lbs. And the lbs did come back off.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

PattyL
on 1/21/13 8:15 am

You can't eat too much fat.  Fat is free food for you because you don't absorb it.  80 gr protein isn't enough for most of us.  If I had to guess I would say you aren't eating enough.  Up the protein and fat.  And avoid every single carb you can.  Sugar is what we aren't supposed to eat.  And that includes bread, potatoes, all starches.  Even fruit.

2renee
on 1/22/13 12:58 am - Ottawa, Canada
DS on 08/28/12

Yep, it is happening to me right now too but it had been a crazy week and my protein wasn't quite up to 100g a day on a few days and my water wasn't quite as high as normal so I am not surprised.  Back into it yesterday and today is going well.  Despite the gain, I put on a size 18 jeans today - down from a 28/30 5 and a half months ago so don't let the scale rule how you feel about your efforts.  It will go up and down for no apparent reason if nothing else but to give your body a break.

Keep it up and increase your protein please...

Renee

Julie R.
on 1/22/13 7:01 am - Ludington, MI

Fluctuations occur, especially at only two months out, as you are.     Try to only weigh once a month.   As long as you're eating the way you are supposed to, you're losing.

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 355 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 813 views