3 Month Post-Op Checkup

allegedlylisa
on 1/29/13 8:48 am

Had a pretty good checkup today.  The surgeon was pleased with my progress/weight loss.  I'm a little behind - only 20% of excess weight lost, but that's because in the last 3 weeks, I've had an overall 3 pound weight gain.  I'm retaining a lot of water in my legs for some reason, so he suggested I get with my primary doctor to see if she can get me back on a diuretic.  I had taken one combined with blood pressure meds prior to surgery, and it was stopped after surgery because my blood pressure was reduced and they don't like having you take diuretics right after surgery because dehydration can be exacerbated with it.  I'll go on Thursday to my primary doctor and hopefully get some of this fluid off and start the weight loss rolling again.  68 pounds is 68 pounds, and nothing I had previously done had results like that, so I'm keeping a positive mental attitude (even though I'm a little disappointed).

My lab work came back awesome.  I've only been doing multivitamins (plus iron) twice a day, 2,000 IU Vitamin D, and 3 tums each day.  Everything is at the upper levels of normal, so I'm good to go for now without adding anything supplemental.  I'm sure that can change at any point down the road, but for now I'm pleased.  For the first time in 3 years, my Vitamin D is where it should be.  I have been on several therapies of 50,000 IU per day because I was so low and couldn't get it to move.  And now I'm good taking 2000 IU per day.

I still have two holes that haven't healed - one that's 3 months old at the bottom of my incision, and a newer one they had to cut due to an infection.

The best news of all, is the doctor okayed me to go back to water aerobics, even thought I'm not totally healed,  He told me slap a bandaid over the holes, and get on with exercising.  It wouldn't hurt me any to be in the pool, and it wasn't putting anyone else at risk.  I am so stoked about that.  I have been trying to go to the gym at least a couple times a week and do some walking and the recumbent bike, but it's still pretty difficult at my size.  Being in the water is so much easier on me and I can do about 2 hours (at least I could prior to surgery).

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with how things are going - of course, I'd like to be down more than I am, but wouldn't 90% of us.

Lisa

Lisa

Cindy L.
on 1/29/13 10:44 am - Trotwood, OH
Revision on 02/19/13

Lisa,

I have seen some amazing things on this site, and it looks like you are on your way to being something amazing too!!

Cindy

Valerie G.
on 1/29/13 10:48 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You've got a great baseline to start with.  Keep copies of all of your labwork, so you can compare it with your next workup.  While the papers may have you in the ranges going forward, you paying attention yourself can see when numbers start to dip and you can adjust before it becomes a problem.   The medical professionals often don't pay that close of attention, unfortuneately.   Do me a favor in the meantime, though, and switch from tums to a true Calcium Citrate (absorbs much easier), at least 1500mg daily.  You can find it loally at any Walmart or drug or grocery store.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 368 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views