getting ready for surgery

jzwife
on 2/27/13 12:44 am

I am curious about what I should take to the hospital? Did you take your own gowns, shampoo, magazines, good book to read, DVD player ,etc? I know I'm going to be in there at least a week.

Its been a while since I had the other surgery and I can't remember much. What should I have a head of time for when I come home? Supplements, protein drinks? I know it will be awhile before I will be sleeping in my own bed. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Sharon

thinlizzie12
on 2/27/13 1:11 am - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I brought toothbrush, brush, shampoo and conditioner. I used the baby body wash they had. I also brought my sweats, shorts and shirts, sweater....more comfy than those gowns. I did not bring any of my supplements....you need to ask your doc about that.  Other than that if you like to reaad bring a book or mags.....I was out of it for  the first day. I really was not up to doing anything except getting my water in and watch tv when I was awake. 

Good luck to you!

Valerie G.
on 2/27/13 1:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The hospital pretty much gave me what I needed for my stay (soap, toothbrush/paste, mouthwash).  A couple of things I remember are that I wish I had my own shampoo and conditioner when I finally was able and felt like showering.  A brush and ponytail holder if you have long hair is a good idea.  

Don't bother with your own PJ's, for your wounds will likely seep and soil your own gowns.  They can give you a second gown to use as a robe and you get fresh ones daily.  Trust me, nobody cares what you're wearing, and the hospital gowns make it easier for them to examine you.

I had all kinds of entertainment items to busy myself with, and never even took them out.  I was listless and tired, so I drifted in and out of sleep the 4 days I was in the hospital.  I watched TV mindlessly, and didn't mind whatever was on.  Which reminds me:  Pack ear plugs, for the hospital is no place for any good sleep.  There are all kinds of noises to disturb you, from the whiny idiot next to you to the machines beeping in other rooms.

For coming home - have several single-servings of different proteins to try as a post op.  I recommend this because taste changes as a post op, and it's not cool when you have a 5lb tub of something that tastes like poison.  Have whoever's picking you up to have a pillow for you to hold to your stomach while driving, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

clutterbunny
on 2/27/13 1:21 am - CA

I took a robe, slippers, chapstick, my phone and charger, and my kindle (uses same charger as my phone).  I didn't use the robe at all.  But I was only in for 3 days, most of which I slept...

They had shampoo and soap (needed help showering because of the drainage tubes).  BUT!! I did forget a brush.  I looked scary on my way out the door!

PattyL
on 2/27/13 5:56 am

I second the ear plugs.  Hospitals are noisy.  Really you don't need much.  I did use my chap stick.

jzwife
on 2/27/13 7:24 am

Thanks so much everyone. What did you wear home? I know I will need something lose because mine is an open surgery.

Sharon

teachmid
on 2/27/13 8:32 am - OKC, OK
I wore sweat pants and a big t-shirt for the ride tfrom the hospital to the hotel. Be comfortable.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

willbear
on 2/27/13 9:30 am - CA

Mine is tomorrow.  I've packed my robe, slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste, something to wear when I'm discharged, lip balm, brush, reading glasses, my phone, and an older tablet.

DS with Dr. Rabkin on 2/28/13.

PSaadallah
on 2/27/13 12:07 pm - Arlington, TX
DS on 12/15/12

Good luck to you!  Don't take too much stuff because you will spend your free time sleeping and walking!

fullhousemom
on 2/28/13 5:34 am
If you still have periods, come prepared. My period started out of cycle after surgery, which apparently is common. And what the hospital offered me, was none too comfortable....
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 370 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views