Pre-OP questions re: vitamins, Canadian DS'ers, Dr. Aceves etc.

spine
on 4/6/13 4:58 pm, edited 4/7/13 2:30 am

Hey guys

I am planning on getting my DS done this year. My BMI hovers between 35 and 37. I had some questions:

Vitamins:

a) How many supplements do you take in a day? Vitalady's recommendation of 20-22 daily supplements was frankly quite overwhelming. Most bariatric sources website I've seen mention 10 or so pills.

b) Does the number of supplements you take go up/down with time?

c)How much do your supplements cost on average?

d) How often do you get your blood tests? What other DS related testing do you get yearly?

e****ep hearing that most doctors and dieticians are a poor source of info on supplements/dosages? So, WHERE do you get your information?

Canadian DS'ers

a) If you're Canadian and had surgery with a doc abroad that only has a 6 - 7 day stay at the hospital/hotel, how did you arrange for after-care back home, in case of an emergency?

b) Are your DS related blood tests covered under provincial health care or do you pay out of pocket?

Aceves Patients

a) If you've had DS surgery with Dr. Aceves, did you do it with or without Ungson? If without Ungson, how did your surgery go?

Marchesini Patients

a) Maybe I missed something on the FAQs, but I am not sure how many days you stay in the hospital and  when you're transferred to the hotel. How was it with you?

Post DS Pregnancy

- How did it go? What special measures, if any, did you have to take? Any problems?

- Where did you go to get information on how many supplements to take and what dosage, based on your bloodwork? If doctros/dieticians aren't exactly reliable sources, who/what is?

I am still new to this (been a week since I started researching WLS). So, bear with me. Thank you for your time.

MajorMom
on 4/6/13 9:08 pm - VA

A fellow lightweight here!  : )   I tried my surgeon vitamin plan and we jus****ched my labs tumble. After several months he finally approved me going totally on Vitalady's DS plan.  Link:  http://www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_ BPDDS3-2010.pdf

I understand it's overwhelming, but it works, and that's the goal. Most surgeons woefully under supplement and are satisfied if you have pretty low labs thinking you can't do better, but we can. It's up to you.  I also understand shipping to Canada is expensive and several DSrs I've heard get a US address and have their shipment sent there where they come down and pick it up. 

Once I've gotten a lab up and slightly over the top of the range, I've been able to cut back, and in a couple of cases, stop a particular supplement all together. I get my labs done every 6 months and tweak the supplements to maintain the labs. I'm very lucky that my surgeon's last 2 dietitians go along with Vitalady's recommendations on vitamins and labs. So the advice I get from her and from my dietitian is in sync--most aren't that lucky.  I also get a bone density test done yearly since I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I was oteopenic pre-op.  If you get your labs done, you can post them here or send them to me in an email and I'll tell you what I think. I'm not medical and can only talk about the nutritional ones.

You've asked excellent questions. Have you found www.dsfacts.com in your research?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

spine
on 4/7/13 2:34 am, edited 4/7/13 2:44 am

Thank you Dina! That gives me a better idea of what the supplementation regimen looks like:). That's the file I looked at, too. And, I appreciate your offer. When I get the surgery, I will be sure to post my lab results on here. Hopefully, you'll have time to drop by and share your thoughts.

I am trying to ask the right questions, so I go into knowing what I am getting myself into.

Question:

It may be 4-5 months or so until I get my surgery. I am concerned if I should lose weight during this time or not. I have lost 15-20 pounds, though they come off slow because of my Thyroid problems and insulin resistance. I will be asking the doctors this, but do you have any information about this, for lightweight people?

MajorMom
on 4/7/13 6:06 am, edited 4/7/13 6:08 am - VA

I wouldn't try to lose too much during your wait. I would try to get in as good a shape as you can. Walking and increasing your protein and making sure your vitamins and mineral levels are the best they can be.  

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 4/6/13 11:07 pm, edited 4/6/13 11:07 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too, had my labs tumble going by my surgeon's recommendations.  I take about 14 pills per day myself.  I swapped out a couple over the years, but I think I only added two.  I spend around $40 ./ month on them.  I learned what to try from others who have been there before me.  Sharing this information is very important to our overall health.

For surgeons, I can tell you that the many years I've been here, Ungson and Marchanesi have many very happy patients and fantastic reputations.  Aceves is new to the DS, and is known to have Ungson assist sometimes from what I've read.  What is your comfort level with someone new vs. someone experienced?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

spine
on 4/7/13 2:43 am

Valerie,

Aceves charges a bit extra to have Ungson down for the surgery. I am yet to hear from Ungson's office. Once I get my quotes from Ungson, I will compare Marchesini's quotes with Aceves and Ungson. I really want to go with Marchesini, because he's amazing, as a physician and at a personal level. But, if it's cheapest to get it done at Mexicali, through Aceves with Ungson on the team, I'll have to go with that. I am self-paying, so I only have so much leeway.

The air tickets to Curitiba, Brazil cost twice as much the flight from Western Canada (where I am) to San Diego, California. All in all, I'll have to choose with my budget in mind. And, of course, I have already selected the best surgeons through research. Even if Aceves does my surgery, I will pay extra to get Ungson on board unless he's cheaper on his own. So, I'll be fine under the Aceves+Ungson team.  I have a lower BMI, and the only pre-existing health conditions I have are Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and Pre-Diabetes (PCOS as well, but that has no bearing on the surgery like the other two conditions). It shouldn't be a complicated surgery.  *Fingers Crossed* Still surgeon shopping, so will let you guys know which of those I end up choosing:)

Valerie G.
on 4/7/13 3:12 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I know in the past that the overall costs were very similar with Ungson and Marchenesi.  They both have their own coordinators, too, so no need for medical tourism assistance and extra costs of that.

Valerie
DS 2005

spine
on 4/7/13 1:39 pm, edited 4/7/13 1:39 pm

No, I won't be contacting any medical tourism people. Just co-ordinating with the Drs' offices. And yes, I think overall, Marchesini might be a *****eaper than Ungson. I only have to decide between M and  Aceves with Ungson on board. I calculated the costs, and it looks like it's cheaper to get it in Mexicali than in Curitiba by about 2000 or so. 2k is a lot of money, so I am still thinking about it. Then again, M keeps his patients for two full weeks. That's part of the reason why costs are higher.

My aunt is traveling with me, and we're very close. So, I am going to consult her as well. She is saying I should go to Marchesini, and the 2 000$ is not a big deal. But, I am paying. And, it's a lot of money to me lol.

Valerie G.
on 4/10/13 1:03 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Now, being self-pay, will you be able to afford to find a doc to help if you should develop a complication at home?  Marchenesi and Ungson (even my own surgeon if you live more than an hour away) have you stay 2 weeks so they are accessible to you if a complication should develop (and they usually do within 2 weeks).  

Valerie
DS 2005

spine
on 4/10/13 2:58 pm, edited 4/10/13 3:07 pm

Well, I am in Canada, so should a complication arise, I'd have to go to the ER. And, the expenses would be covered by my provincial insurance.  You raise a good point, though. I've been thinking about the same.

I talked about the 2 week stay with Aceves's co-ordinator. I asked her why he only had patients stay for a week when Marchesini had a 2 week stay.  And, she said they could arrange a two-week stay for me at the hotel which is close to the hospital and has transport available to/from the hospital. 

Now, I just have to pick between Marchesini and Aceves with Ungson on board. It's difficult because part of me wants to get it done with Marchesini, but the cost is higher and I am worried about the long flight, blood clots etc.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 419 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 861 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 277 views