Is drinking with a straw ok post op DS surgery???

dustycroy
on 4/29/13 3:04 pm
DS on 05/14/13

Just wondering if using a straw after surgery with DS is ok???  I know they say with the RNY surgery you are really not soposed to...

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

lamby80
on 4/29/13 3:39 pm
DS on 04/10/13

I did, it helped control my "sipping" until I got the hang of it.

BPD/DS/VSG/Appendectomy/Cholecystectomy on 4/10/2013 with Dr. John Rabkin

CoColette
on 4/29/13 4:38 pm - WA
DS on 03/27/13
I usually drink with a straw too and haven't had any issues! Sometimes I get some air and it makes me burp a little, but nothing painful or too embarrassing. And same with me, it helps control my sips. I used to gulp water like I was never getting it again!
fullhousemom
on 4/29/13 9:39 pm
I think different doctors advise differently on this. Mine said no straws. It keeps room for food in your stomach, not air, right after surgery. Others will tell you they used a straw right away. I don't think there is any "absolute" on this.
P. Poster
on 4/29/13 10:00 pm

Yes, you can use one.  Just be mindful that it can add some air bubbles to your tummy and until your stomach relaxes a bit and you are able to burp well again, it can be painful to have extra air in there.  At 3 years out, I prefer to use straws now.  It helps me ensure I dont drink too much at once.

southernlady5464
on 4/29/13 11:04 pm

I use them, not all the time, but use them...if you are use to drinking from a straw without getting air in your stomach before surgery, no reason to stop after surgery. Surgeons and their staff just ASSUME that everyone gets air in the sleeve afterward!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

jzwife
on 4/30/13 1:29 am

I am 6 weeks out today and just started using a straw- it helps with my drinking water a little better. I don't know if I could have done it in the  beginning. I think its all up to the individual. I started using one now because I get so thirsty and tend to drink too much too fast.

Valerie G.
on 4/30/13 5:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Bless the inventor of the straw for helping me avoid the foamy whey crap clinging to the sides of my glass.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

BrienneofTarth
on 5/1/13 1:44 am - IL
DS on 03/26/13

My doc said no straws ever because of the air/gas thing.  I sort of get it, but I'll probably try drinking through a straw again down the line.  It is tough controlling the sips of water without one; I'm still learning!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 419 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 860 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 277 views