Dr. Elariny

N. K
on 5/22/13 11:53 am

Okay so I go for my initial consult with Dr. Elariny next week to discuss revising from lap-band to DS. I am a little nervous, happy, and down all at the same time. Nervous because it is major surgery, I am praying everything with my Carefirst BCBS insurance approves the procedure. I just do not want to have several different surgeries to get to the final surgery that is the best. I want to get it done now.  I just want this band out of me and this weight off of me. My original doctor don't perform the DS and from talking about it with a surgeon there they are against it so they do not know I am stepping into another office. 

Anyway, are there any patients of Dr. Elariny out there? How do you feel about the staff, the surgery, the results of weightloss, etc.? Wish me luck!

Irishnurse
on 5/22/13 1:24 pm
DS on 04/17/13

You are making the right choice....get that Bad Band out of you! I had mine removed and I feel so much better!

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

MajorMom
on 5/22/13 7:24 pm - VA

Dr Elariny is an awesome surgeon and his staff is pretty darn good too. Bad news up front: he doesn't accept insurance for the DS because he doesn't feel it's fair reimbursement due to how long it takes in the OR and the skill required, and insurance only reimburses at the same rate for RNY...almost nothing.

Anyway, talk to him. He will likely suggest keeping the band in with a DS and you would need to be very firm with him and tell him what a crappy thing the band is and you want the damn thing our or nothing. There are other surgeons that do band to DS revisions but you'll have to travel since Elariny is the only DS surgeon in Virginia. Check the surgeons on www.dsfacts.com. I understand Dr Smith in GA, Dr Sudan in NC and Dr Greenbaum in NJ are very good.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

N. K
on 5/23/13 12:31 am

Oh no, he don't accept insurance for the DS. Oh well that cancels me out. I know I can't afford to have the procedure done out of pocket so I guess I will have to either research another doctor or go ahead with the sleeve ugghhh. I don't know why they don't tell you that over the phone when you call to make the appointment. It would make things so much easier. I spoke with Dr. Greenbaum sometime last year but he only does the procedure open from revision and I am not sure if I want to go through all of that if I can avoid it. Yeah maybe I will look up Dr. Sudan since it is close to family and I won't have to worry about paying for a hotel lol.

larra
on 5/23/13 1:47 am - bay area, CA

Dr. Sudan does revisions of lap band to DS and has an excellent reputation. When you call his office, ASK about insurance coverage. That way, no nasty surprises.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views