DS Vs VSG

Laguerita13
on 6/21/13 3:07 pm - Morristown, TN
Hi hayley, If i were you i would swing over to the sleeve forum to get opinions from them as well. The sleeve has had tons of success as well and there are people there who have lost over 200 lbs with sleeve and look amazing! In the end its up to you!! do your research. You are your best advocate!
airbender
on 6/21/13 9:04 pm

so this is really an individual choice, for me I would not get the ds unless it was not my last option, it was not my first....I am more of a restrictive person first...vsg, .it works great if you are a volume eater....but you have PCOS and gaining and gaining, you also eat a lot of carbs (eating simple carbs you will still gain with ds as they are absorbed at 100%) it really comes down to what are you willing to do and not do?  do you think you can say no, eat less with the vsg alone? from what you posted, it sounds like you would struggle with the vsg alone,  are you willing to take all the supplements that are mandatory with the ds for life, follow up with blood work?  so it really comes down to you, only you know who you are and what you can/will do?  no surgery is perfect and they all have pros and cons.  Personally i would only do a vsg or ds and would only recommend those 2 surgeries.  are you ready to say **** i am sick of this and i want a surgery i know will get me to where i want to be and has the best statisitcs to get me and keep me there? talk to some vsg patients, talk to ds patients, post on both forums, how many revisions are there, very very few ds patients revise, you will see people revise to ds, it is rare to revise from ds, and again what are you willing to do and not do?  but do something now it will only get worse it you do nothing,  this is what i have learned nothing in life is free....good luck to you....

MsBatt
on 6/22/13 1:40 pm

You're only 34, so...choose carefully. You're going to be living with this decision for a LONG time.

I was 45 when I had my DS, 9.5 years ago. I so wish I could have had it when I was 25! I can honestly say that if I had just a Sleeve, I would have regained all that I lost, because I can eat.

fullhousemom
on 6/22/13 10:20 pm
Someone mentioned looking at the sleeve forum. By all means, keep doing your research, but you need to keep in mind a couple things.

1. How long from surgery is the poster out. Someone two years out may sell you the successes of their surgery, but two years out does not define long term. Give more weight to those who are long term vets.

2. Pay attention to the resolution of comorbids. Weight loss is great, but you have other issues that may not resolve itself by the sleeve alone.

The DS forum is becoming more and more active with people looking to switch from one WLS that they had previously, to the DS. We call them revisions. There are more risks and successes involved with revisions, which varies from what you are revising to. And limited surgeons who will do them as well! It is expensive. Don't think that these revisionists all made uneducated decisions at their initial surgery! They did their research and are finding out, many times many years later, that the original WLS did not meet their objectives.

Bottom line, you want to be cut once. Don't "try" one surgery with the expectation that if it doesnt work you can try another. Bad for your body, your pocketbook, and you may find insurance doesn't even pay for a second surgery.

Obviously, I chose the DS for many of the reasons already mentioned above. If you cannot be compliant to the DS lifestyle (and you will suffer greatly if you cant comply), then you may have to settle for another surgery. But (my opinion- do your own research), you will have to settle for a lesser degree of successes, in terms of weight loss and resolution of your comorbids.
Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 11 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1087 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1264 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 516 views