Is it still considered a revision surgery if it's from a sleeve?

HKFandora
on 7/3/13 11:36 am

I had the sleeve, and now I'm interested in the DS. For those with experience can you tell me, if it was considered a revision surgery? I mean I know it still is a surgery, but I am curious to hear from others who went transitioned to the DS. My surgeon doesn't do the DS, so it would definitely be a different doctor. I had to wait six months prior to surgery, would it be the same? I know it might not be the same case for me, but still want to hear from someone. Thanks.

larra
on 7/3/13 1:16 pm - bay area, CA

Unless your sleeve was part 1 of a PLANNED 2-stage DS, you are looking at a revision. There are a few people who need to do the Ds in stages for medical reasons, but most of us get the whole thing done in one operation, as the DS is intended to be done.

this is not to say that you are alone. we are seeing new people all the time with the sleeve who are not satisfied with their results and now want to revise to the DS (and some also revising from gastric bypass to DS, and LOTS revising from lap band). So I'm not trying to discourage you. But it is a revision. As to what your insurance will require, or whether your insurance will cover this surgery at all, I can't say. You will need to read your policy and see what your contract says.

Larra

HKFandora
on 7/3/13 1:19 pm
Oh, I'm not discouraged just wanted to clarify a thought I had. Thanks.
usandall
on 7/4/13 4:23 am

I work for an ins company and we require 2 years between procedures.  I can not tell you how hard it is I want to tell those who are going for another to go directly to the DS.  I have only had one instance I actually spoke to a member normally I give approvals to the provider.  Even within our ins company I work on the federal side however the other portion of our company is much larger and has many different plans and within each plan there are many different criteria which need to be met.  Gastric Surgery is so common some ins company have a department just dedicated to this.  I would suggest calling and getting more information then you could imagine.  With the company I work for if you meet the criteria for one you could have any procedure which surprised me.  Hence the reason I always have the urge to scream pick DS pick DS pick DS.  Sadly I have seen members go down the same misguided road I had and get a lap band.  I find it most difficult when I find those with a BMI in the upper 40's desiring a lap band and in my personal opinion I can not help but feel the MD is not directing them to what is ideal for them.  However the aspect of lap band being least invasive still attracts many as it did I and I am a nurse with 20 plus year experience however although I background has been ICU primarily elderly point being any one seeking gastric needs to educate them selves.  After one plus years I am once again learning how to use my DS as a tool and it humbles me how much I still have to learn and also excites me as it truly a work in progress.  I am in the process of omitting some of the bad carbs I have allowed myself to slip back into the habit of eating while at the same time increasing my protein and fats so that my body is using to my tool to it optimal level.  For example forgive me for TMI however with the diet change I have found my stools are more pasty and from what I read I think the solution is to add more fat as I am taking in enough protein.  It is interesting to make changes and in a few days see what works and what does not work.  I love to learn and I look at it as the greatest science project of my life....  Sorry if I sound silly but I truly love my DS and find it not only fascinating but feel personal enjoyment every time I make a change and it is successful.  I wold certainly keep coming back as I learn so much from this site.  Hope this helps.  Donna

HKFandora
on 7/4/13 4:29 am
Thanks for all of your information. Can you tell me what your vitamin routine is like. I'll give my ins a call Monday or see if they are open today. If it is two years, I have another year to work harder and hope I get there. This month makes it a year.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 323 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views