I have revision date

donna39
on 7/10/13 7:02 am - FL
I will be having Revision surgery on Aug. 1, 2013. I had Gastric Bypass back in 2007. Could anybody tell me what to expect? Thanks

Donna SW- 363   CW- 326  GW- 230              VS 04/25/2013 Dr. M. Jawad

larra
on 7/10/13 7:59 am - bay area, CA

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I have never heard of this surgeon as a DS surgeon in over 7 years on this and other DS sites, much less as someone who could do a RNY to DS revision, which is the most complex bariatric surgery being done. There are only a handful of surgeons doing this operation.

So I looked at his page here on OH, and he lists among the procedures that he does the BPD, which is NOT the same as the BPD/DS. It is unfortunate that the DS is sometimes called BPD/DS, which creates confusion. In short, though, they are very different operations, with the modern day DS having replaced the outmoded BPD. The BPD had a lot of problems with diarrhea and nutritional deficiencies which the DS was created to avoid. While there are risks of any operation, the DS has far less issues with malnutrition and/or diarrhea.

So if you are using the surgeon you named in a previous post, I would tell you to expect problems, I am sorry to say. I would strongly recommend that you read up on the DS at dsfacts.com., and that you consult with one of the few surgeons who can really convert your RNY to a true DS. Keep in mind also that if you have the BPD, your pyloric valve will be removed, gone forever, and you can't go from BPD to a DS because what's done is done.

You will need to travel to get to a surgeon who can offer you a true DS, but it's worth it.

Larra

donna39
on 7/11/13 8:42 am - FL
Hi Larra, Your not raining on my parade! I' am open for all comments, and suggestions. Your right there are not a lot of surgeons out there who does this surgery. They all have to start somewhere. Those surgeons that does the DS that is far away didn't they have a 1st patient? I know several patients who had the same surgery I' am having and there fine. He done the DS on the others just as I will be having. I believe in my surgeon and I have kelp in touch with the other patients that had the same thing done. I will go into surgery expecting the best not the worst. So I thank-you for the reply but don't tell me or anybody else to expect problems. Yes I asked what to expect with the DS surgery, not a run down on my doctor isn't qualified to do the surgery. With the BPD the lower part of the stomach is gone. My stomach right now is a tube shape, just like a sleeve. That's one of the big difference in the BPD, and the DS.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 7/10/13 12:14 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Hi Donna,

Will you be getting a revision from the VS to the DS? Is this the second step of the revision you had in April of this year? And will it be performed by the same surgeon?

If you're getting the DS, this site is great and also the site that Larra mentioned (dsfacts.com). 

Do you have any specific questions? I haven't had my surgery yet, but I know that others here are very helpful!

~Amy

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

donna39
on 7/11/13 8:45 am - FL
I will go on the site thanks!

larra
on 7/11/13 11:04 am - bay area, CA

Best wishes to  you for a safe and successful surgery.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 298 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 770 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views