Ice cream

meq815
on 7/26/13 1:15 pm - PA

I ate a mini Magnum ice cream bar tonight.  It was delicious.  I wonder what will happen.  It was my first ice cream since my surgery 3 months ago....

JazzyOne9254
on 7/26/13 1:53 pm

The sugar might give you gas and the runs, but basically, nothing.  You will absorb 100% of the sugar, since ice cream is full of simple carbs, but the fat in the ice cream is your friend.  You can eat ice cream from time to time, just set your limit.

Personally, I didn't eat  ice cream until I was 3 years out. It affects different people differently, and it basically all has to do with common channel length.  The shorter yours is, the more issues you'll have.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

meq815
on 7/26/13 2:23 pm - PA

Thanks, JazzyOne! i guess I'll see what the night brings.  My cc is 125.

southernlady5464
on 7/26/13 10:47 pm

My cc is 175, my dh has a 125, And I have more issues with ice cream than he does. So cc length may have very little to do with it.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

JazzyOne9254
on 7/27/13 1:42 am

Could just be plain old LI (lactose intolerance).  I was LI as a pre-op, and still am.  I was moreso immediately post op.  Could be the sugar.  Everybody has different sensitivities.  In  anything medical, there are exceptions to what's average.  The things we are told happen with a DS happen for the average number of people studied over time.

not everybody has the same symptoms happen.  Check out the boards here.  That's why we all ask questions here, and share what has happened on our own journeys. 

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

* Gail R *
on 7/27/13 3:11 am - SF Bay Area, CA

This is what will happen...you will continue to push the boundaries and it will slow your weight loss way down. Your first year is your weight loss period. Don't go through all the trouble of surgery and then waste it. (it happened to me although I waited six months to indulge in "no nos".) You will eventually start to regain if you push the limits. The DS is not a free ticket.

An occasional treat if fine, just don't pu**** I have almost no reaction to most foods now, but at 3 months out you may have some stomach rumbles.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

meq815
on 7/27/13 6:58 am - PA

You're right, Gail.  I said to my husband this morning, "fortunately, or unfortunately, I had no ill effects from the ice cream".  The same thought crept into my head.  Starting to realize that my DS is a tool, not a free pass.  Thanks for the reality check.

Julie R.
on 7/28/13 12:42 am - Ludington, MI

angry

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

jashley
on 7/27/13 5:27 am
DS on 12/19/12

I have been testing out ice creams myself.  I am almost 8 months out.

My stomach used to be really sensitive to sugar and carbs, but not so much now.  I get more reactions if I eat sugar free ice cream than 1/2 a cup of real ice cream.  So I think I am developing sensitivities to sugar substitutes.

I don't do it every day, but a treat now and then (and I limit it to 1/2 a cup) is nice to have.  Especially when I'm out with other people.

* Gail R *
on 7/27/13 7:43 am - SF Bay Area, CA

Most sugar free ice cream is sweetened with sugar alcohols. They are horrible on our stomachs. As a diabetic I used to try them pre surgery and they always made me sick. Avoid sugar alcohols in all foods. Some companies try to use them in protein bars--beware. You can become a gas factory with cramps

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 310 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 775 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views