Healthcare ACT

cthr
on 10/15/13 9:32 am

On the plans I have seen only a minute number cover Bariatric surgery. Wouldn't the administration want individuals to have a procedure that would help make them healthy? Isn't that the first lady's mantra? What are the poor to do in light of this lack of coverage?

PattyL
on 10/15/13 3:07 pm

What the poor have always done.  Do without.  Suffer and die young.  Seriously, no one gives a tinker's damn.  Especially about us lazy fat people who need to get up off our butts and push ourselves away from the table.  And I'm poor too!

Where I live, it looks like the people with no insurance now will continue to have no insurance.  There is no affordable option available.  And no medicaid unless you are disabled.  Some other states are a bit better.  Everyone where I work was waiting for the ACA, thinking it would help.

No company wants to cover fat people or offer bariatric surgery.  It's a money pit!

jashley
on 10/16/13 2:57 am, edited 10/16/13 3:00 am
DS on 12/19/12

My thoughts also when I read that question.  No one cares about the poor, the disabled.  Money or political clout are what motivates the infrastructure to provide aid or programs for groups of people. 

And no one is going to cover bariatric surgery if they don't have to.  Bariatric surgery is still considered an elective surgery by mainstream medicine/society.  Because you can lose the weight if you just stop over eating (according to the medical profession). 

It's really hard to get insurance to pay for bariatric surgery before Obamacare, so I can't imagine the insurance companies would leave anything like that in a policy after Obamacare.  After all, they can't refuse to cover a person like before.  And they can't exclude pre-existing conditions either.  So now they are stripping as much as possible out of the insurance policies they offer starting 2014 incase they get the dreaded 'obese woman over 50 yrs old with diabetes who smokes'. 

I'm surprised the 2014 policies don't have stated criteria of levels of health before the policy has to pick up costs - like you take no prescription meds, exercise 5 days a week, with normal blood sugar levels for the last 2 years, on a ketogenic diet, doing yoga twice a week, blah, blah, blah before the policy pays 80% of medical costs.  If you don't meet these criteria, then the policy pays 60% and your premiums are doubled.  They can't refuse someone a policy, but they can make it very expensive.

This is why I self paid for my DS at the first chance I got to get it done for an affordable price.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 795 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views