Thanksgiving Ideas?

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/19/13 12:43 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I'll be taking side dishes and desserts to the family for Thanksgiving like I do every year, but this year I want to add something that I'll actually be able to eat. I know if I don't, then I'll pretty much have to stick to turkey, which I'm not too crazy about.

Any ideas on a side dish I could make that's high protein/low carb that'll be good enough to share with "normies"?

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

PattyL
on 11/19/13 4:37 pm

For Thanksgiving, I pretty much eat what I want.  But I love turkey and that's always what I eat the most of.  I would be in trouble without the turkey.

There's always deviled eggs.  And maybe a cheese plate.  Maybe shrimp or crab salad.  There are lots of great recipes for hot crab dip.  I always do crustless pumpkin pie baked in individual ramekins served with whipped cream.  Sometimes I do sweet potato pie like that too.  Not carb free but it's lower than a regular pie.  And I always add some extra eggs to increase the protein.   The classic green bean casserole isn't loaded with carbs.  Spinach dip would be good too.  If I was looking for something really festive maybe homemade green and red salsa.  They aren't hard to make and lots of people appreciate having something a little different.  I even put salsa on turkey.  How about cauliflower and broccoli gratin?  These aren't all high protein but the carbs are 'reasonable'.

If your dinner is fancy/formal, I would make savory crepes stuffed with smoked salmon and cream cheese.  Topped with a dab of creme fraiche and a sprig of dill.  You can do the crepes ahead of time and use more eggs and less flour.  The filling can be made in advance too.  Then you put it all together right before you leave.  Ice tongs can be used to serve these.

I love to cook!  All I get to make this year are latkes and pistachio cake.  But I will be doing several turkeys during the season while they are cheap.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/20/13 12:25 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

afoster1
on 11/20/13 5:11 am - Las Vegas, NV

Yeah, thanks PattyL

I think I'll look into making some of those myself, especially the deviled eggs, sweet potato pie and spinach dip as well.

All great ideas!

yummmmm!

:)

We are, each of us angels with only one wing; and we can only fly by embracing one another.
hollykim
on 11/20/13 7:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

um,can I eat with you for Thanksgiving? :)

jashley
on 11/21/13 7:28 am
DS on 12/19/12

No kidding!  I don't mind driving...mail

hollykim
on 11/21/13 7:47 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

ill buy the gas...

PattyL
on 11/21/13 7:42 am

Thanksgiving in Vegas is never a bad idea!  But Thanksgiving isn't at my house.  I'm going to a potluck with a bunch of musicians.

hollykim
on 11/21/13 7:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I like music...

Valerie G.
on 11/25/13 6:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Deviled eggs or salami rolls are a great side item, but allow yourself to truly enjoy the food!  Just get a good serving of turkey and a spoonful of everything your heart desires.  A bite of each and you will feel totally satisfied and not at all deprived.  Do the same at Christmas, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 789 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1068 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 352 views