In the hospital with bowel obstruction.....

Susan M.
on 4/9/14 2:53 am

"Having the contents of your bowels suctioned out through your nostrils must be awful!!"

-I have to agree with that statement.  Yikes, I'm glad you're okay.  I guess it's one of the best play throughs for a bad situation. 

My surgeon said anyone can get obstructed bowl but your chances increase with every abdominal surgery.  He said since I had had 2 c-sections and my gallbladder out my chances were already higher but that it usually isn't mentioned as a risk like it is with WLS.  

SandieMc49
on 4/9/14 9:53 pm
On April 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM Pacific Time, dustycroy wrote:
Feeling sooo much better now. 99% sure I'll be going home tomorrow. Started late Sunday night... horrific pain. I knew it wasn't kidney stones "pain was more in my front instead of my back". 2 hours later after a couple hot baths, and throwing up my husband took me to the hospital. I was so tired out from beathing through the pain, I couldn't take it anymore... Then it took another couple of hours for them to "size" me up and make sure I wasn't just there for pain meds uhg...really??? I could just tell that's what it was. After watching me throw up, and beg for them to do something they sent me for a cat scan. When they found the obstruction I was then transferred to a different hospital. They put a line down my nose to suction out the contents of my stomach and bowel. Then I was told that we would give it some time to see if taking the pressure off of my bowel would lead to it correcting itself. It took awhile but Im passing gas today and my pain is all gone, and at the moment Im waiting for my first poo.... If all goes well I should go home tomorrow.... I have to admit Im going to be nervous for awhile. That was an experience that I could do without going through ever again,,, On a positive note, If I ever experience one again, I know exactly what it feels like, and will get my butt to the hospital a lot faster...

Yikes - I had that same thing happen - I was at the gym, started getting lower right quadrant pain (nothing like I ever had before) - left the gym and decided I'd go to Walmart to "walk it off".  Of course, it got much worse - so I left the store and headed to an acute care center close by.  I told them that this was the most pain I ever had without having a baby to show for it!  They transported me to the hospital and I had a CT as well. 

I had to have "open" surgery (my surgeon profuse apologized for not being able to do it laproscopically) for a small bowel obstruction.  The surgeon said that, on a scale of 1-100 for needing emergency surgery, I was a 99!  Pay attention to unusual symptoms and pain - better to be safe than sorry.

dustycroy
on 4/10/14 3:19 pm
DS on 05/14/13
My goodness, these things seem to come on so randomly. I find myself chewing my food over and over again because Im afraid that there is a spot where there is narrowing in my intestine and Im afraid that food could get lodged in there and it could happen again. How long ago did yours happen? Im even taking my vitamins one at a time now because Im wondering if the gel caps stuck together and started a "dam up"...... I know Im going to drive myself crazy over this...........

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

MsBatt
on 4/10/14 3:35 pm

I too had a bowel obstruction that resolved without surgery. I think that's probably the worst pain I've ever had---and being accident prone I've experienced a LOT of pain. To add to my lovely experience, they had a really hard time getting the NG tube through my nose. It wound up required a very experienced nurse and an infant tube, and even so they broke something in my nose.

I'm convinced I have a narrow place in my gut, probably at the anastomosis. I've had occasional, random, short-term discomfort at that spot since I was a few weeks post-op, but I didn't have the bowel obstruction until I was about 8 years post-op.

SandieMc49
on 4/10/14 9:19 pm
On April 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM Pacific Time, dustycroy wrote:
My goodness, these things seem to come on so randomly. I find myself chewing my food over and over again because Im afraid that there is a spot where there is narrowing in my intestine and Im afraid that food could get lodged in there and it could happen again. How long ago did yours happen? Im even taking my vitamins one at a time now because Im wondering if the gel caps stuck together and started a "dam up"...... I know Im going to drive myself crazy over this...........

About 3 1/2 years go (it's like a distant memory now) - but I did nothing wrong to make it happen - luck of the draw.  But in the big picture, it was a glitch.  My goodness, the amazing benefits of having lost so much weight have far out-weighed (pun intended) the negatives. 

Please don't drive yourself crazy and don't let what "might happen" get inside your head! Do what you know you need to do, enjoy life, and make us proud.

Sandie

ceemree
on 4/10/14 9:52 pm
RNY on 01/07/14

I went on OH this morning because I'm obsessed with preventing an obstruction.   I have had horrible constipation since surgery.  I have had multiple abdominal surgeries (3 c-sections, gall bladder, hysterectomy, 2 laparoscopy surgeries) when the surgeon did my RNY he had to remove a lot of adhesions and did understand why I wasn't complaining about pain in my bowel then.  I am using MOM every few days and feel I was just steps away from an obstruction a couple of days ago.   After reading on here that some people use a daily stool softener, I started one. I was also wondering about probiotics.   Has anyone used them and does it help?  I go to a support group for post - ops but I'm too embarrassed to start the discussion there.  Hope you recover quickly and thanks for sharing your experience with us newbies.  

HW 232 Preop 215 CW 142 GW 134

dustycroy
on 4/11/14 3:55 am
DS on 05/14/13
I understand your fear completely. What is this stuff called MOM? or is this a type O? I run the the way. I have more problems with a loose stool. I have never taken probitics, but I am going to start, because of the loose stool. We'll see how that works. Its really a "givin" with this surgery, everyone takes it to keep things in check. Ive put it off, because of the added expense of keeping up with the surgery. I know the PH in my poo is running way to acidic and Im going to try it for that. Yes you don't have to be afraid or embarrassed about talking about poo here, it is a very common subject......lol

enlightened HW 372 SW 350 CW 185 GW 150 Lost 187 so far....

ceemree
on 4/11/14 4:08 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Its.. milk of magnesia Its was suggested by my dr.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't!

HW 232 Preop 215 CW 142 GW 134

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 794 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 267 views