Where is your extra Stomach?

Kim B.
on 5/17/14 1:46 pm - Mesa, AZ

Question for some old timers or anyone who might know.  10 years ago was it common for the doctor to leave the portioned off part of your stomach inside you or was it more common for it to be removed?  Was this practice of the RNY? 

MajorMom
on 5/17/14 8:13 pm - VA

I know of several distal RNY folks who had the remnant stomach removed. The remnant of the DS sleeve stomach is always removed to my knowledge.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kim B.
on 5/18/14 2:51 am - Mesa, AZ

I thought it was always removed also but a friend of mine who had the surgery 8 months after I did just had to go in for exploratory surgery to find out what was going on with her (they thought it may be an intestinal blockage) and the real issue was the stapled off portion of the stomach was left in her and started to grow into her spleen.  She had to have her spleen removed.

MajorMom
on 5/18/14 2:55 am - VA

That is the first I've heard of a DSr having a their stomach only stapled off. Who was her surgeon?

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Kim B.
on 5/18/14 3:14 am - Mesa, AZ

The same Surgeon as mine, this is why I am worried.  I love my surgeon but the DS was not popular back then and who knows what the thought process was. 

MajorMom
on 5/18/14 3:22 am - VA

That's true. I wonder if you might be able to get a copy of your op report from the hospital?  You need to know if he routinely stapled of the stomach rather than creating a separate sleeve.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Kim B.
on 5/18/14 5:25 am - Mesa, AZ

I am going to call the Hospital Tomorrow and get a copy.  She had food backing up in the second stomach and it was causing her other issues. 

MsBatt
on 5/18/14 7:48 am

Sounds to me like your friend actually had an RNY, not a DS. It's common to leave the remnant stomach with the RNY, because it's still making digestive enzymes. The pylorus is still attached to the remnant stomach and allows these enzymes to drain down the BP limb and into the common channel.

The excess stomach tissue in the DS procedure would have no outlet, and not much in the way of blood supply. I doubt it could live long.

Kim B.
on 5/18/14 9:47 am - Mesa, AZ

No I am positive it was the DS, as I said we share the same Doctor.

MsBatt
on 5/18/14 12:54 pm

Dr. Simpson has a bit of a rep for doing unconventional procedures, but leaving a remnant stomach in a DSer---dangerous. In your shoes, I'd not only get my operative report, I'd also get checked out by an internist ASAP. The stomach portion not used in a DS simply isn't a functional organ and has no business still being inside you.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1081 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1249 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 511 views