On my way to the DS!

juliew
on 6/7/14 6:39 am - Stockton, CA

Hello everyone!

I've been a member of OH for quite a number of years, but mostly as a lurker until I pop out to ask questions. I think it is finally the time to stop being such a lurker. 

I had started going through Kaiser's Bariatric Surgery program in 2010, but lost my job (and therefor my health insurance) in early 2011 so that stopped. From then until the beginning of this year I either had no health insurance or was just on the county hospital's medical assistance program (which let me see a doctor, but did not cover any type of WLS). I am now on Medi-cal and my PCP has sent the referral letter to the hospital/doctor/bariatric program. I am registered for a seminar on August 12th at Dameron Hospital in Stockton, CA. Obviously by posting in this forum I want the DS. My doctor choices (as stated on the seminar letter) are Dr. Coirin and both Jr and Sr Dr. Coates. Does anyone have any stats on how long any/all of them have been doing the DS and what their performance rate is? My mom had the RNY in 2005 with Dr. Coirin and was then revised to the DS in 2009 (with Dr. Keshishian). I know that in 2009 neither Coirin or Coates were doing the DS. Maybe the son was, but I did not start hearing about him until very recently.

p.s. - Forgive me for the abuse of emoticons, but that jumping pink blob is too cute not to post. haha 

Wanting the DS! 

If you care enough for the result, you will almost always attain it. - William James

MajorMom
on 6/7/14 7:13 am - VA

Congratulations!!  I know a couple of folks that had Dr Coates as their surgeon. One is a little over 7 years out from her RNY and I remember how pleased she was with Dr C and his staff. She's a PA and made it a point to learn all she could about her own after care.

More recently there was person who got their DS with Dr Coates. I'm really pleased he's started doing all the surgeries. I would talk with Dr C even though he is somewhat new to the DS he's had years of experience in bariatric surgery.

Good luck!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Dawn G.
on 6/7/14 9:47 am - Fort Edward, NY

Congratulations!!! IMHO, the most important things you can do prior to surgery is to read everything you possibly can about all your options-but most importantly, I feel that one of the best things you can do when preparing is to get yourself into the best possible physical shape that you can.  I don't mean "dieting"-I mean start eating the kinds of foods now that you will need to have after surgery-so it becomes a natural part of your life beforehand.  The more changes you can make now, the easier it will be later-and most importantly, you want to be in the best shape possible so that after surgery, healing up will go easier.  I am not familiar with your choice of surgeons, however I just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world.  Just hang on tight and get ready for the ride of your life! Do all the research you can, and make sure you have everything in the house you will need ready so when you come home, you will be all set.

HW-390.6
SW-326
CW-103
GW-140

WLS is a very big decision.  Please EDUCATE YOURSELF before choosing how you wish to spend the rest of your life! 

pixistyx
on 6/7/14 2:05 pm, edited 6/7/14 2:06 pm

Well well, small world, girl!  This is Ash, your sister's friend.

I was going to Dr. Patrick Coates (the older one****il yesterday when my insurance denied the hospital Dr Coates practices at.  Jr assists his father and does his share.  He's a great surgeon, did my aunt and uncle's RNY's without issue.

His staff is awesome, the PA Ruth seems to know more about the process than the other one, the reception staff is awesome.

Text me if you want to talk more! I PM'd you.

-Ash

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views