Hair Loss??

BReyes1961
on 8/9/14 1:41 am
DS on 12/16/13

When does the hair lost stop, or at least slow down?  I'm 8 months out and my hair is still falling out by the handful.  My pony tail used to be the size of a quarter, now it's the size of a dime...I don't want to go bald!!

Member Services
on 8/9/14 2:47 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Breyes1961,

Sigh this is different for everyone and some don't even lose any hair.  Some say Biotin supps helped, others used Nioxin products.  The next time you see your surgeon ask them about your hair loss. Once you reach goal your body can take up to a year to adjust. Also, check  your blood levels the next time you have blood workup. Hang in there and congrats on your surgery....

Valerie G.
on 8/9/14 4:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You should be at the tail end of telogen effluvium now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Irishnurse
on 8/10/14 4:42 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Mine lasted about 8 months but it was never in HUGE amounts. It is thickening now. make sure you are getting all the protein you need. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

mylittleblackdress
on 8/11/14 1:29 am - FL

I think I am an exception, but I had significant hair loss for 18 months.  I monitored all my labs and maintained my protein intake but the problem persisted for that long. I tried everything will little improvement.  I have regrown a lot of my hair over time but it is definately thinner than pre-DS.  Even 4 years out if I slack off on my prtein intake it starts falling out. :(

Irishnurse
on 8/12/14 12:47 am
DS on 04/17/13

Also make sure you are using a more natural shampoo. Panteine is horrible and will make your hair fall out. Talk to a Stylist they will sell you something natural without butane in it and warn you away from certain products that help with hair loss. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Lemily
on 8/12/14 1:39 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Echoing the below. I take about 10mcg of biotin daily in addition to what's in my multivitamin. Doctor said once rapid weight loss ceases I should see it come back slowly. He said a slow in rapid weight loss is about 4-5 pounds per month. Until then keep taking the biotin, and I too use the Nioxin products. You can get them at Ulta.

BReyes1961
on 8/14/14 4:35 am
DS on 12/16/13

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 635 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 987 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 337 views