Major Gas

Kim B.
on 7/9/15 12:40 pm - Mesa, AZ

Hi All,

I am 13 years out from DS surgery.  3 1/2 years after surgery my intestines flipped and I had to have surgery for a blockage.  For the past few months I have been having major gas issues.  I have not changed my diet, I am not sure what could be causing it.  My big worry of course is another blockage.  The gas is so bad it distends my tummy and I look prego!  It also is painful!  Has anyone had any experiences with this?

larra
on 7/9/15 3:27 pm - bay area, CA

It could be bacterial overgrowth of your colon, and often a short course of Flagyl will relieve this problem. This could be prescribed by any physician, including your pcp. Worth a try!

Larra

buffalobillsfan
on 7/11/15 12:56 am - CA

I had bowel obstruction surgery also although mine was about 10 months ago.  Any time I have taken antibiotics I tend to get very bloated and gassy.  I've used a very strong probiotic http://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-flora-critical-care-50-billion.html.  I would get it locally though where it is refrigerated.  This helped me tremendously. 

I am so afraid of having another blockage but I don't think this is always an indicator.  Gas and bloating is painful but my blockage was pain in a whole different way/feeling.  Also as Larra said, a round of flagyl might knock it out. 

Kim B.
on 7/11/15 8:16 pm - Mesa, AZ

I was wondering about a probiotic also, I think I will try it.  If it does not work I have a Doctors appointment in early August and I will talk to my doctor about the Flagyl.  Thank you ladies!

twodelight
on 7/14/15 12:58 pm - Atlanta, GA

I had really bad gas issues and this past April I figured it out that I could not drink the crystal light mixes and walmart brand. Then later discovered that any rice or pasta in my stomach will cause major gas so I gave eliminated them both and have minimized my gas issues. Now if that is something I want I'll eat it but late at night and at home alone. I've just now eat my protein a few vegetables and some fruits and I'm fine. Trying to find a balance now but feel a thousand percent better now that I have eliminated those two items. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1080 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1248 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 510 views