How do you like your DS? Please share your thoughts

PeteA
on 8/12/15 5:52 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Two things I guess about malnutrition. While a lot of things can be lumped together under that I tend to separate out protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency.

Protein deficiency seems to be much more of a concern immediately post-op with people that are having trouble recovering correctly from the surgery and having problems keeping things down. Most people tend to find ways to vercome this eventually but still it doesn't happen a lot. WIth proper attention the risk of malnutrition is very low.

Most people that end up with vitamin deficiencies are the ones who weren't paying attention and decided they could skip for a couple of days which turned into months and then into real problems. With the DS you just have to pay more attention to your daily schedule of vitamins. It seems overwhelming at first but you get used to it fairly quickly. Like anything else the discussion can get pretty heated about what the best vitamins are to take but the truth is as long as you are following your labs you can't get too far off track. Problems just don't happen overnight.

I had a BMI of 61 when I had surgery and, thankfully, have not had any problems related to the DS at 2.5 years out. I'm now on complete blood work once a year and get my primary care Doc to run additional if he is looking for something else.

I do have to watch my iron but I think that first went low dus to an abscess and I have just been working to get it back into normal. I recently stopped IRon supplements because my Ferritin was spiking. I wouldn't trade my DS for anything - I feel it gives me the best chance to keep the weight off long term.

Valerie G.
on 8/12/15 10:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The only concerns you should have is whether or not you have the capacity to understand and comply with the nutritional needs of a DSer, and how your own needs may differ.  Do you have the drive to be diligent to be healthy, or do you not think you can handle such a responsibility?  

No really...I'm serious about this.  I've seen many expecting to be spoon-fed from a surgeon who had maybe a semester in nutrition sitting back getting malnourished and not even the least bit driven to get results themselves.  This can NEVER be a DS patient. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

gwbp
on 8/14/15 7:18 am

I am 9 Years out.  I love my DS!

you must learn how to take care of yourself post -op.  

Down 165 lbs. as of May 21.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views