GAS?????..

elaynemu
on 6/12/16 4:34 pm

I had a revision from what my surgeon called a modified DS (longer loop) to a classic DS due to chronic severe constipation. They found the loop had closed off due to scar tissue and adhesions (this was surgery #4) so I got a whole new loop. Now, I am having the most awful smelling gas. I take Gas X and Phazyme as often as allowed and it just kind of seems to leak out all the time. My house smells, my clothes smell and I smell! I don't have trapped gas or pain, just a leaky butt. Lol My question is that at least a portion of this has got to be diet and I am trying to keep a food log to see what makes it worse or better. So how long does gas take to develop? Should I be looking at foods in the last hour, last 8 hours, 24 hours?  I need to get control of this before I go back to work or I will run off all my clients.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Elayne

hollykim
on 6/12/16 5:00 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 12, 2016 at 11:34 PM Pacific Time, elaynemu wrote:

I had a revision from what my surgeon called a modified DS (longer loop) to a classic DS due to chronic severe constipation. They found the loop had closed off due to scar tissue and adhesions (this was surgery #4) so I got a whole new loop. Now, I am having the most awful smelling gas. I take Gas X and Phazyme as often as allowed and it just kind of seems to leak out all the time. My house smells, my clothes smell and I smell! I don't have trapped gas or pain, just a leaky butt. Lol My question is that at least a portion of this has got to be diet and I am trying to keep a food log to see what makes it worse or better. So how long does gas take to develop? Should I be looking at foods in the last hour, last 8 hours, 24 hours?  I need to get control of this before I go back to work or I will run off all my clients.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Elayne

breads carbs and sugar alcohol gives me stinky gas. It will happen about 8 hours after eating any of those things.

-Flo-
on 6/12/16 5:35 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Try Devrom. It's an internal deodorant. I'm  sorry your going through this.

NoreenRT
on 6/12/16 6:43 pm - Warner Robins, GA

If I over do it with the carbs, about 2-4 hours I can expect what my husband refers to as the "blue haze ".  It kind of just hangs in the air and burns the hairs in your nostrils.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 9:39 pm

I have the loop and the food you eat definitely has an impact. Hi carbs, especially white flour and sugar, chocolate and ice cream will create a steady flow of gas. Also, the gas is most toxic before a bowl movement, and most of us have the main one in the morning. If it's before work and you watch the trigger foods, you'll be ok.

MajorMom
on 6/13/16 2:01 am - VA

I take a powerful probiotic called VSL#3 DS. It's kept behind the pharmacy counter in the fridge. My sweet spot is 2 - 1/2 teaspoons a day and I try to keep away from gluten, sweets and various carby foods.

You could have some kind of bacterial overgrowth and you may want to talk to your surgeon about a round of Flagyl followed by daily probiotics.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 6/13/16 10:02 am - bay area, CA

It sounds like your revision was very recent, though you didn't say that specifically. If so, things will probably improve somewhat with a little more time as your intestines adjust to their new configuration. But I do agree with everyone else that certain foods can be culprits, esp carbs and anything with lactose. Most people with their DS or gastric bypass become lactose intolerant if they weren't already. We do ok with cheese and butter, but not milk and ice cream. Also certain veggies - broccoli causes problems, and you may find others are you try new foods. It's best to try something new on your days off and see what happens.

Larra

Laura in Texas
on 6/13/16 1:49 pm

I have several friends who had DS who take activated charcoal supplements and use charcoal inserts in their underwear to help (in addition to watching their diet). I hope things get better for you soon.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 769 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1057 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 349 views